GUIDE: How to Mountain Lion 10.8.2 on the HP Pavilion Elite m9040N

Tengokuu

Alright, my first guide on OSXLatitude. Here's how to get Mountain Lion 10.8.2 running on a HP Pavilion Elite m9040n. Everything seems to work fine and dandy BUT sleep. I can't work it out for the life of me.

post-2657-0-66759900-1359420743.png

Specs of this Pavilion m9040n are above. No, it's no Intel Xeon, it's a cosmetic issue.

- Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600

- NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS 256MB (512MB works, too. / If you use an AMD Radeon card, you don't need to download the graphics card kexts, as most Radeon cards work out of the box.)

- 3GB DDR2 RAM (You should upgrade this to 4GB or 8GB, your call. c:)

- 2x 320GB Samsung HDD's

- BIOS Revision 5.07 (Others may work.)

You WILL need a computer running Mac OS X already whether it be a virtual machine, a hackintosh, or a real Mac. You need an 8GB USB flash drive, and another flash drive (or SD card) for files after installation.

Also, please make sure you're using a LEGIT copy of Mountain Lion... which you should really only obtain from the App Store. Pirated software usually causes installation issues, and I can't help you there. I don't condone piracy; Buy OS X.

Ready? Let's begin!

1. Download the Mac OS X Mountain Lion installer from the Mac App Store

2. While you're waiting, download myHack from here.

3. Get these kexts; they are required to get video working at all.

Nvidia GForce 8400GS And Others.zip

4. You will also need Kext Wizard, you can get this here.

5. Once you have everything all together, connect your 8GB USB flash drive, open Disk Utility, select your actual drive from the left, click the Partition tab, under partition layout, select 1 Partition, name it to Mountain Lion, and format it to Mac OS X (Journaled) with the Master Boot Record partition scheme. Apply the settings.

6. Run myHack, enter your password, and select 'Create OS X Installer', then select 'Create OS X 10.8 Install Disk'.

7. Press 'Browse Manually', go to your applications folder, click and open Install Mac OS X Mountain Lion.

8. Follow the remaining windows procedures in myHack till' it finishes. It should read 'All processes completed', or something like this. (I'm not the best at remembering things.)

9. Open Kext Wizard, and click on Installation on the top. Unzip the 'Nvidia GForce 8400GS And Others' ZIP, and drag and drop the three kext files, NVDANV50Hal.kext, NVDAResman.kext, and NVEnabler64.kext into the white box under 'Select kexts to install'.

10. Check 'System/Library/Extensions', and select 'myHack OS X Install Disk' as the destination. Press 'Install', you may be asked to enter your password.

11. Once that's done, go to the Maintenance tab at the top, and check both 'Repair permissions' and 'Rebuild cache' under 'System/Library/Extensions' (When you press either one, the System/Library/Extensions box should automatically check itself.)

12. Set your Target disk as your 'myHack OS X Install Disk' drive, and press Execute. It shouldn't take long... it's rather instantaneous (At least for me...)

13. Once that's done, you're ready to install! Enter the BIOS on your m9040n, and set your SATA1 controller to AHCI. (This will break your Windows installation if you didn't have this set beforehand.)

Go to the Power tab and enable the processor's XD features. Save changes, exit BIOS.

(I strongly advise you disconnect everything but the keyboard and mouse at this point.)

14. Enter the boot menu, and select your boot device as your myHack drive. Wait a while, and you'll be greeted with the bootloader screen. Press any key to stop the countdown, highlight myHack OS X Install Disk and type in the following without the quotes

'-v -f'

15. After a while, you'll be greeted with the OS X installer screen. Accept terms and agreements, go to the top, and select Utilities, and select Disk Utility.

**16a. If you have more than one hard drive installed in your system, make SURE you format the SATA1 drive.

16b. Find your SATA1 drive, and format it as Mac OS X (Journaled). You also need to make sure the partition scheme is set to GUID. Name it 'Macintosh HD' or however you want to. (It's how Apple does it, anyway. .-.) Once you've done that, exit disk utility, and install Mountain Lion to the newly created Macintosh HD drive.

17. Sometime inbetween installation, you will be asked if you want to use your own Extra directory. Select 'Use my own'.

18. Select your myHack OS X Install Disk on the left, and use the Extra directory from there. (Expand the folder first, and expand Extensions and make SURE the 3 kexts we installed to the drive earlier are there. Two of them are color coded Yellow and Orange, while one of them should be white.

19. Three other popups will appear afterwards asking you to remove some kexts, say yes to ALL of them.

20. Installer should finally finish after some time later. When your system reboots, go back into the boot menu, and select your myHack OS X Install Disk.

21. When you're back at the bootloader screen, stop the countdown, highlight your Macintosh HD drive, and type in -v -f like we did before.

22. Let it boot. You'll soon be at the welcome screen. None of the network devices are working at the moment. Make an account (with a password!), go through the setup process, and just make your way to the desktop.

23. Wonderful! We installed Mountain Lion... now let's get it working... Remember that secondary USB drive I said we'll need later on? Yeah, now we need to use it. If you have an SD card, plug it into the front of your Pavilion and just make sure it works. (It should.) Get the following file; We need to use Wi-Fi. Don't worry!; If you use Ethernet, we'll get that up and going shortly~!

wifi-RT73_Lion.zip

also, you will need to get multifail from tonycrapX86 here. Register, and download it. It's mandatory. I would attach it, but they mentioned not to. Sorry!

24. Create a random new folder inside your second USB drive/SD card, extract all of the contents of that zip file you just downloaded into that newly created folder. Put that multifail zip in there, too! Then, connect the USB drive/SD card into your Pavilion. 

25. Let's begin with RaWLAPI.framework. You need to drop this folder into /Library/Frameworks/, so in Finder, press Go on the menu bar, and press 'Go to folder', type in /Library/Frameworks/, and drop the RaWLAPI.framework folder in there.

26. The RT73USBWirelessDriver.kext needs to be placed into /System/Library/Extensions/, so in Finder, press Go on the menu bar, and press 'Go to folder', type in /System/Library/Extensions/, and drop the RT73USBWirelessDriver.kext in there. You may get a 'kextnamehere not installed properly warning'. Ignore it. we'll fix it. You need to drag the WirelessUtility.app file to your Applications folder too.

27. Open Launchpad (since Spotlight is probably still indexing your drive.), open the Utilities folder and launch Disk Utility. Select your Macintosh HD partition on the left, press First Aid, and select 'Repair Disk Permissions'. Let that sit though, once it finishes. Close Disk Utility.

You're probably sickly annoyed with having to use that USB drive of yours to boot into OS X, so let's fix that while we're still here in the OS.

28. Open your secondary USB drive/SD card, and unzip that multifail installer. We can't run it yet because of silly ol' Gatekeeper, though. Go to System Preferences, and open Security & Privacy. Unlock the settings, and change 'Allow applications downloaded from:' to 'Anywhere'. NOW, you can run the multifail installer. Go through the documentary, and select these options:

post-2657-0-21112300-1359424626.png

Install to your Macintosh HD drive, and let it go through. I bet you're ALSO sick of typing in -v -f to boot your system. (Well, -v wasn't needed, it was just there to make sure everything was booting up properly.) So let's make it all automated.

29. Get Chameleon Wizard. (So many Wizards here, today!) Put it on your secondary drive, unzip and run it on your Pavilion.

Chameleon Wizard.zip

30. Go to the org.chameleon.Boot tab, and under Boot Flags, check Ignore Boot Cache, (Uncheck Verbose mode if you want.), and then press Save at the top. (Might be asked to enter your password.)

30b. If you want, you can head to the Themes tab and add a theme to the bootloader that's now on your hard drive.

31. Once that's done, you can now reboot your system. You don't need to use your myHack USB drive anymore, just let your system boot from the hard drive!

32. Once you log back in, you should now have everything working (but sleep.) on your brand new desktop hackintosh! Congratulations! Connect an Ethernet cable (if you want to.) and set it up in Network in System Preferences to now connect to the internet and enjoy your new system.

To set up Wi-Fi however, you need to open the WirelessUtility app we dragged to the Applications folder earlier. Under Site Survey, highlight your wireless connection and press 'ADD PROFILE'. You'll then be dragged into a menu. Select Authentication & Security, and enter your WPA Pre-Shared Key, or your WEP key accordingly, and then press OK. Select the newly created profile, and then press ACTIVATE. You'll then be connected to your Wi-Fi network. You need to make sure that you have enabled the 802.11 bg WLAN profile under Network in System Preferences before the Internet really starts working.

Sadly, Wireless Utility needs to be launched every time you boot your system to get Wi-Fi working. Go to Users & Groups in System Preferences, and go to the Login Items tab. You should add the WirelessUtility.app application to the startup items. Check the Hide box near it if you want to, too. WirelessUtility automatically connects to your set up profile when it launches. (And yes... you can close it when it connects.)

Well, that's it. Enjoy your new HP Pavilion Elite hackintosh. Sorry for making this as long as it is, too. I have a wild tendency to get into detail with things...

Whatever you do by the way, do NOT restore your account from a Time Machine backup after this. Bad things will happen. (Such as... a reinstall.) If anyone notices anything weird about this guide, do tell me.

Product Name

dv6-6165tx

Product Number

A3D56PA

Microprocessor

2.2 GHz Intel Core i7-2670QM

Microprocessor Cache

6 MB L3 cache

Memory

4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Memory Max

Upgradeable to 16 GB DDR3

Video Graphics

AMD Radeon HD 6770M (2 GB GDDR5 dedicated)

Display

15.6" High-Definition LED HP BrightView Display (1366 x 768)

Hard Drive

750 GB SATA (5400 rpm)

Multimedia Drive

SuperMulti DVD±R/RW with Double Layer Support

Network Card

Integrated 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN

Wireless Connectivity

Bluetooth wireless networking

802.11 b/g/n

Sound

Beats sound system

Keyboard

Full-Size Island-Style Keyboard with Integrated Numeric Keypad

Pointing Device

TouchPad supporting Multi-Touch gestures and On/Off button

PC Card Slots

Multi-Format Digital Media Card Reader for Secure Digital cards, Multimedia cards

External Ports

• 1 VGA
  • 2 headphone-out
  • 1 microphone-in
  • 2 USB 2.0
  • 2 USB 3.0
  • 1 RJ45

Dimensions

37.8 x 24.68 x 3.52 cm

Weight

Starting at 2.63 kg

Power

120W AC Power Adapter

6-cell Lithium-Ion (Li-Ion) battery

What's In The Box

HP TrueVision HD Webcam with Integrated Digital Microphone (low-light)

Please Tell Me. Is MAC OS X LION operating system is compatible to my laptop or not ?

If it is compatible then tell me the steps cleanly to install mac on my laptop . I would like to dual boot mac with windows. Please  Help me.

This is a very interesting post, my elite I just got yesterday has a 1st gen i7 lynnfield, but based on your results I expect it to be very simple and similar with the outcome of a hackintosh.

I have a hp pavilion elite e9270t.

I have narrowed down these components

i7-860

8gb ram

radeon hd 4650

the motherboard is msi

currently running linux, but once I get my virtual machine back up, I think I will have success as you did.

Nice write up.

Unfortunately, none of the links work for me. Especially, the .png that shows which option to turn on in Multifail would have been really educational. I used most of this tutorial and successfully installed 10.8.2 on my m9040n. My system hangs however when upgrading to 10.8.5. Thanks for the detailed post.