SATA not visible during install

mcr

I've done several installations, using myhack and EDP.  So I have experience, not a noob.  On two particular machines, a Latitude D830 and an Optiplex 745, the OS X installer does not recognize any SATA drives are connected.  Installation is from a USB stick.  BIOS settings are all correct, SATA channels are enabled, AHCI, etc.  These machines boot fine from Windows 7 installed SATA drives.  I have tried both drives with Win 7 already installed (GPT and MBR boot), and completely blank drives, GPT pre formatted to HFS+.  None are recognized by the OS X installer.  Once in the installer, I run Disk Utility and it doesn't see any SATA devices, including the SATA DVD/CD drive.  Running System Profiler under the Utitlities menu of the OS X installer also shows no SATA devices detected, including the DVD drive.  Disk Utility shows the only disk device connected is the USB stick that I'm booting from.

I've tried disconnecting the DVD drive and have only the hard drive as the only SATA device connected, and that doesn't change anything.  I am booting from the USB stick using the F12 Boot Option Menu that is typical on Dell machines.  In the Dell F12 Boot option menu, it DOES show the SATA drive as an option to boot from, so at that point, the system and BIOS is recognizing SATA drives just fine.

Any ideas?

• Administrators

Clearly an issue with your USB installer. Assuming you used the correct bootpack, can you list the kexts (with versions) you have in the /Extra? Which version of myHack are you using and which OS X version are you trying to install?

Clearly an issue with your USB installer. Assuming you used the correct bootpack, can you list the kexts (with versions) you have in the /Extra? Which version of myHack are you using and which OS X version are you trying to install?

I'll use the Optiplex 745 as the example, since that is the one I tried last night.  I am using the correct bootpack Dell_Optiplex_745-lion.zip.  Installing 10.7.5 downloaded directly from the App Store.  My Hack 3.1.2  Kexts are the default ones from the bootpack, I've not altered anything.  I ran the option with Myhack to integrate the bootpack kexts into the USB build.  Also, FYI, I removed third party graphics add in card to avoid any conflicts, the video is the built in Intel HD 3000

AppleACPIPlatform.kext 1.3.5

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext ? doesn't show in GetInfo, if I open the info.plist in the package, it looks like bundle ver 1.0

ApplePS2Controller.kext 1.1.5

BCM5722D.kext 1.0

FakeSMC.kext 4.0

lspcidrv.kext ? doesn't show in GetInfo, if I open the info.plist in the package, it looks like bundle ver 1.0

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext ? doesn't show in GetInfo, if I open the info.plist in the package, it looks like bundle 1.0

Patched_10.7_AppleRTC.kext 9.9

VoodooTSCSync.kext  ? doesn't show in GetInfo, if I open the info.plist in the package, it looks like 1.1

• Administrators

That set of kexts looks Ok.

The only thing I can think of is that you're using Lion 10.7.5 directly, not a previous release like 10.7 or 10.7.2. I have no personal experience on installing 10.7.5 directly on a D830, just with 10.7.2 which I then updated to 10.7.5 (this worked Ok). However, I have seen several people experiencing difficulties installing Lion versions greater than 10.7.3. Or maybe it's not a full retail version. I did not even know Apple offered Lion 10.7.5 as a downloadable version; well I certainly haven't seen Lion available for download for quite some time...

I'd advise you to try installing a different version of Lion, but I guess you probably don't have that.

Let me check which kexts is used for SATA controller and we can check if it's there or loads on your system.

That set of kexts looks Ok.

The only thing I can think of is that you're using Lion 10.7.5 directly, not a previous release like 10.7 or 10.7.2. I have no personal experience on installing 10.7.5 directly on a D830, just with 10.7.2 which I then updated to 10.7.5 (this worked Ok). However, I have seen several people experiencing difficulties installing Lion versions greater than 10.7.3. Or maybe it's not a full retail version. I did not even know Apple offered Lion 10.7.5 as a downloadable version; well I certainly haven't seen Lion available for download for quite some time...

I'd advise you to try installing a different version of Lion, but I guess you probably don't have that.

Let me check which kexts is used for SATA controller and we can check if it's there or loads on your system.

Herve,

Thanks.  I have 10.7.3, 10.7.4 and 10.7.5 .  Wouldn't you know I deleted .0 through .2.  FYI on the App Store, if you previously purchased Lion on the App Store and you log back in (under Lion), it will recognize if there is a newer version, just like it does with any other app, and offers you the opportunity to download the newer version.  As far as I can tell, they are fully installable files, not updates, as I able able to install a fresh copy on a real Mac natively.  I will try an earlier version, maybe even look for 10.7.0 if I can find it.

Also, just FYI, I have successfully installed using 10.7.5 as the base on other machines using EDP, just not these two (Optiplex 745 and D830).

On the D830, I found that if I change the SATA mode to the legacy ATA, the hard drive is detected, however, even though it allows install to proceed, the resulting install is very unstable and freezes within 10 seconds after boot.  Changing the BIOS back to AHCI after install makes the drive unbootable (expected, I guess).

On the OPtiplex, changing to ATA mode didn't make a difference.

attachicon.gifkexts.jpg

Try and get a copy of IOATAFamily kext added to /E/E. Make sure the plist of AppleIntelPIIXATA plugin covers ICH-8, or whatever controller your D830 has, but I'd expect the same as the D630.

In fact, try the attached...

attachicon.gifIOATAFamily.kext.zip

Herve,

Adding this kext did the trick on the Optiplex 745!  It recognizes the SATA hard drive with no problem.  Thanks, it's installing now, and hopefully there won't be anymore issues.  I will try this with the D830 tomorrow but I"m sure that's the problem.  I have observed that the models I had trouble with all did NOT have IOATAFamily.kext in their respective bootpack.  Perhaps this Kext needs to be added to the Optiplex 745 and D830 bootpacks?  Thanks again, once I get this working with the built in HD 3000 graphics, I will be adding an Nvidia 7300GS card, wish me luck.  There appears to be several solutions for injecting the proper Nvidia strings, so I'm hoping this shouldn't be too tough.

attachicon.gifkexts.jpg

Try and get a copy of IOATAFamily kext added to /E/E. Make sure the plist of AppleIntelPIIXATA plugin covers ICH-8, or whatever controller your D830 has, but I'd expect the same as the D630.

In fact, try the attached...

attachicon.gifIOATAFamily.kext.zip

Well, I spoke too soon. Install completes, after the first reboot, I'm getting stuck at "Still waiting for root device"