Optiplex 745 USFF

Blancmaison

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have once on a TOWER 745 but I don't think the two differ.

I had to install some kext to get the hard drives to show up in the installer for some reason though when using the bootpack from EDP. I forget what it's called, but it works.

(As for graphics, I had a Radeon 5450 in the system, so that may be the one difference.)

• Administrators

It's the IOATAFamily kext, which clearly needs to be added to the bootpack. I put a fresh copy of it here:

https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/2103-sata-not-visible-during-install/

It simply needs to be added to /Extra/Extensions folder of the myHack installer, followed by myFix, prior to OS X installation. One of the key items is the graphics support, depending on what you use: integrated hardware (is it HD3000?) or discrete add-on card.

• Administrators

'just had a look at the specs: mini-tower, desktop, small form factor (SFF) and ultra small form factor (USFF). All based on the same underlying specs:

• Pentium 4/Pentium D/Celeron or Core (Solo? Duo? 2 Duo?) CPU
  • Intel Q965 Express chipset (which I understand supports C2D CPUs)
  • DDR2-533/667 only for USFF model (vs. 533/667/800 for the others)
  • Intel GMA3000 integrated graphics (with no apparent discrete card capability for the USFF model), which I understand to be different from HD 3000
  • integrated LAN card of unspecified origin (would need PCI vendor id + device id to fully identify)
  • ADI 1983 HDA audio
  • SATA 1.5 & 2.0 controller (believed to be ICH8)

So the real items to look for are GMA3000 graphics support (may work with GMA950 kexts as GMA3000 is built on GMA900 & 950) + ADI 1983 audio support (I understand this to work with patched AppleHDA or maybe VoodooHDA). LAN support can be secondary or non-issue if add-on wireless card is used. The rest should be a no brainer.

Hi

As always cheers for the response / help , i know there are a few different kinds of 745 , i had the big tower before and had that running osx it was when i read another post on here and I thought there might be an element of doubt for the usff machine with saying that i have the impression that the hardware is the same on all models ? the one i am getting is ell Optiplex 745, Intel Core 2 6300, 1.86GHz usff, i hope to have osx server on this.

I now have a installer disk ready so once i get the machine i will give it a blast , once again cheers.

Alan

Alan,

I'm currently trying to get a 745 mini tower up and running,  on mine, the built in graphics is HD3000, C2D E6600 2.4GHz,  DDR2 667MHz ram.  You mentioned you had the big tower before and got it running?  After solving the IOATA kext problem, I got the install to complete, but on reboot, I'm stuck on 'Still waiting for root device'.  My USB stick is created using 10.7.5 as the base, then the Optiplex Lion bootpack on this site, with the IOATAFamily.kext added.  I've tried a number of suggestions (switching back to Legacy mode from AHCI, disconnect SATA optical drive, change the boot order of SATA devices, connect to different SATA port on the MB), nothing has worked.  Would really like to know how you got your mini tower working.  My next thing to try based on Herve's suggestion is to build an install based on 10.7.0 or 10.7.2, not .5.  Sadly, I don't have copies of 7.0 or 7.2 anymore so will have to find one.

Michael

• Administrators

We should be able to get past that issue by finding the right Chameleon option or flag. I can suggest to try various combination of the following boot options:

PciRoot=1 USBBusFix=No/Yes npci=0x2000/0x3000 GraphicsEnabler=No/Yes

Use them along -v flag to monitor startup messages.

Did you go through the various Optiplex 745 threads that were created last year?

Herve,

Yes I went through the threads, nothing specifically helpful.  I tried various combinations of the flags you mentioned, nothing working yet.  I  decided to use the -x flag to boot into safe mode.  It did boot, then I think I made a mistake by then trying to run InstallEDP, not realizing that the program is unable to complete entirely if booted in safe mode.  This left the Extras folder quite a mess with all kinds of left over files, and now the machine won't boot at all.  I will have to restore back to the backup Extras folder, and then keep trying configuration flags I guess.  QUESTION:  if there is a flag or option in the org.chameleon.plist, for example USBBusFix=Yes, if I enter a counter flag at the command line during boot, does that OVERRIDE any setting in the org.chameleon.plist file?  So if I said USBBusFix=No on the command line, does that override the Yes flag in the plist file?

There are pre-built option in the org.chameleon.plist file put there by the MyFix utility, I don't know if I need to edit the plist file, or can just override them on the command line.

• Administrators

Yes, the boot flags and/or options that you manually specify at startup override the Chameleon boot plist. Watch with very recent versions of Chameleon as they would appear to memorize manual boot flags and options afterwards...