Optiplex 745 USFF

Blancmaison

Got my machine today and managed to get lion on , previously made an installer then used myhack to transfer the 745 bootback to the extra folder also copied the ioata file to the bootback as well , installed ok then choose where the extra folder was to complete the install onto the new machine rebooted then choose verbose for first boot, after initial setup rebooted normally , ethernet has been picked up and video is 1024 by 768 no qe ci yet 

Question ?? Can you get qe ci to work on these machines ? i did a search and found a gma945 / 950 kext any ideas if this will work ? will try anyway but open to ideas ? / suggestions

also set disk mode from normal to legacy, on normal says cannot find root device

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

That file can normally only work on Intel GMA950 graphics controller. Are you using an add-on PCIe graphics card or the integrated GMA3000 controller?

Try and give us the PCI vendor id/device id for your video controller: Apple Menu -> About this Mac -> More Info -> System Report -> Equipment/Hardware -> PCI and/or Video cards/monitors.

under graphics displays it says

type gpu

bus built in

vram 64mb

vendor intel 0x8086

device id 0x2992

revision 0x0002

kernal extension - no kext loaded

then display 1024 by 768

pixel 32 bit

i thought it was gma950 from what i read on the dell web site but may be wrong, as it is the usff it is the dvi on the back

• Administrators

GMA950 is graphics controller of another chipset (GM945). According to PCI database website, device id 0x2992 is chipset Q965/Q963 which integrates graphics + memory controller. Q965 supports integrated graphics + PCIe x16 discrete add-on graphics card, Q963 only integrated graphics, so look at your motherboard for a PCIe x16 expansion slot to ascertain whether you have Q965 or just Q963 chipset.

If this chipset were unsupported by Mac OS X, your only hope would be to have the Q965 which would allow you to add a supported PCIe x16 graphics card. Should it be Q963, you'd be screwed!

You can probably force max resolution through the Chameleon boot plist in /Extra: tick the Graphics Mode box and select the maximum resolution supported by your display. Try and select Graphics Enabler too (if that proved problematic to boot, you can then manually use boot option 'GraphicsEnabler=No' afterwards then tick that option off). If that works, then there's a good chance we can find the correct FrameBuffer.

If the onboard Q965/Q963 video is indeed GMA3000, then I understand that GMA950 kexts would support it (GMA3000 is a direct evolution of GMA900/950). I reckon it will require to patch the kext, but it should not be too complicated now that we have the PCI device id.

Hi

Tried changing graphics enabler , when it was setup i think it was as yes , tried yes and no but no effect, i tried putting the 950 ket in the extra folder and the normal folder on o/c as well via next wizard but no joy , to be honest the machine is giving me everything i wanted, i wanted something that i could try osx server and it is doing that cheers for your help Herve.

• Administrators

The GMA950 kext will need to be patched to take your Q965/Q963 device id into account, you can't just copy it to /E/E and expect graphics acceleration + resolution to work. By default, it only supports "regular" GMA950. The Intel framebuffer will probably require the same. I'll have a look and get back to you.

Gents,

I realize Blancmaison is using the USFF, and I am using the MiniTower version, but my research says all the Optiplex line uses GMA965, aka X3100 graphics?  My tower does have a separate  PCIe x16 discrete add-on graphics card OPTION, so in my case, I tink the Q965 applies, but in the USFF I don't think there is room for a PCIex16 slot, so maybe it's just the regular G965?