D820 KP when booting in to OSX or installer with -f

dutchcow

This morning I started my D820 which was running fine for weeks and got greeted with a KP caused by AppleEFIRuntime and AppleEFINvram. The weird thing is that nothing has changed. I then tried booting from my Lion install USB that has the last bootpack on it, it booted fine. I rebooted and booted the Lion install USB with -f and also got the KP. I changed the HDD, wiped it, and tried it all again with the same result. Now I can't even boot into Lion or the installer anymore. The same happens on my backups, as soon as I boot with -f I get a KP. I did myfixes, reinstalled Extra, restored working backups, reinstalled EDP v5. Nothing seems to sort this out. Does anyone know howto fix this?

Edit: The same happened on my SL install. Booting into a 64bit kernel solves it, but alas no drivers for the graphics card. Can't seem to figure out whats causing the KPs when booting with arch=i386.

Edit2: After deep cleaning the bios (erase nvram+defaults) things seem to have returned to normal. Lets hope it stays that way. I like my D820!

• Administrators

yeah i am experiencing the same thing on a d620 nvidia and lion. looks like my permissions are screwed so far as i can tell. but got my snow running but i am booting with a usb drive with chameleon and an extra folder with a -f -v from snow i was not able to even get into the lion volume because of permissions. so had to set it manually using propedit app then running a permissions fix for 2 hours... it is currently still running. that lion partition was also where chameleon boot file resides since it is my first partition on the drive.

I ran into this a couple of more time. Things to check; modules chameleon loads, the /boot file, 2172 seems to work really well while some newer 218x builds fail hard when booting into OSX. I've also noticed that playing around with setpci stuff in Linux and doing a normal reboot will make OSX very unhappy  ^_^

So when things get weird here I make sure I have the 2172 /boot file, ran a full myfix, have a good hot cup of coffee and do a proper turning it off and on again to fix most things.

I'm currently modding a Lion installer so it can be used as utility stick/disk, basically I just removed all packages and put on some nice applications. But I guess it would be illegal to share it. It's simple enough to make and nice to have. Or a SuperDuper! live usb disk ofcourse (but I like to create a tiny rescue thingy for my hackingtoshes).