Mountain Lion installation on M4400

ReneK

Hi Guys,

First a big thanks to all for this great site and all resources. I have my M4400 working with the E6400 guide in post https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1764-mountain-lion-on-e6400-in-5-steps/page-0 and the /extra files. Most things work, but I can't get this fixed:

2/13/13 8:17:29.185 PM com.apple.kextcache[229]: / locked; waiting for lock.

2/13/13 8:17:33.342 PM com.apple.kextcache[228]: kxld[com.apple.driver.AppleACPIEC]: The following symbols are unresolved for this kext:

2/13/13 8:17:33.342 PM com.apple.kextcache[228]: kxld[com.apple.driver.AppleACPIEC]: _AcpiHwRead

2/13/13 8:17:33.342 PM com.apple.kextcache[228]: kxld[com.apple.driver.AppleACPIEC]: _AcpiHwWrite

2/13/13 8:17:33.349 PM com.apple.kextcache[228]: Link failed (error code 5).

2/13/13 8:17:33.349 PM com.apple.kextcache[228]: Prelink failed for com.apple.driver.AppleACPIEC; aborting prelink.

2/13/13 8:17:33.355 PM com.apple.kextcache[228]: Failed to generate prelinked kernel.

2/13/13 8:17:33.363 PM com.apple.kextcache[227]: Child process /usr/sbin/kextcache[228] exited with status 71.

2/13/13 8:17:33.363 PM com.apple.kextcache[227]: Error 107 rebuilding /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache.

2/13/13 8:17:33.364 PM com.apple.kextd[12]: kextcache error while updating / (error count: 6)

Tried replacing AppleACPIPlatform.kexts (1.6 and 1.3.5) but with no result other then KP's at boot.

Btw I am on 10.8.2, all other things (sleep, bt, audio, wifi etc work like a charm). 

Any help is very welcome!

• Administrators

Well, DSDT is a BIOS table, so it's kind of specific to a model or a family of models. I could be wrong of course, but maybe the DSDT of a Latitude E64xx does not suit a Precision M44xx, unless they really share the same characteristics (chipset, controllers, graphics, screen, etc.).

You could try without the DSDT (boot with option DSDT=No) or extract your own one.

• Administrators

Mmm, I just quickly checked the specifications as provided on Dell's web site and I see 2 systems with non-trivial differences. For instance:

- GM45 chipset on one vs. PM45 on the other (I admit the diffs will be minor between the 2)

- NVidia graphics only on one vs. Intel GMA X4500 only on the other

To me, that sufficient to say the DSDT table of one model is not suitable to the other.

Okay,

I think I got this one worked out. Seems the version of AppleACPIPlatform.kext is wrong and not compatible with our little Dell in ML. I removed it from S/L/E , E/E and S/L/E/myhack and put an older version 1.3.6 (Google for it) in S/L/E and ran MyFix/Full.

The first time it reboots there is no issue and I get to the desktop. The error in Console is gone now and my Kernel is prelinking fine, even with manual prelink in Terminal. Unfortunately subsequent boots fail with a KP. Only way to start ML is with the -f flag (so no kernel cache).

Upside is that the restart/shutdown seems to be working better (99% oke) and console is clean. I put the -f in boot.plist and that does it for me. I'm happy with my 'almost perfect' Dell Hack.

For who is interested, this is my workflow so far:

• Download bootpack from Dafob (link in post #1) with Extra and DSDT
  • Remove voodooPowerMini.kext from /Extra in bootpack to prevent errors in ML with CPU control
  • Make installer with MyHack and bootpack (instructions in Dafob's post) and install ML
  • After install, delete AppleACPIPlatform.kext and replace with version 1.3.6 (see top of this post)
  • Run MyFix-Full
  • Put -f in org.chameleon.boot.plist in /Extra under Kernel Flags (or enter when booting in command line)
  • Reboot

Have fun !

Hi All,

I managed to get Mountain Lion installed on my M4400, but I can't get the WIFI to work. I have the DW1520 card, and have tried installing the kexts from the OP link into E/E and S/L/E and neither seems to work. 

My system is an M4400: 2.53 Ghz QX9300 processor, 8GB RAM, FX770 512MB video card, Broadcom DW1520 WIFI card and 10.8.2 installed. Everything else seems to work fine, but I can't get the WIFI to work. I know the card works because it works fine in Win7.

thanks,

Kevin

Kevin,

I can't help you with your DW1520, but my M4400 is identical to yours except I have a 2.54Ghz T9400 and a Broadcom 1510. Using the methods linked in this thread, everything works for me including WiFi, which works perfectly out of the box.

I previously had an Intel 5300 wireless card which didn't work with OS X but was able to pick up the DW1510 off of eBay for $10, so you should be able to do the same.

EDIT: Oh, and heads up for anybody who wants to use iMessage: the version of Chameleon/chimera (chameleon, stolen and rebranded) bundled with myHack does not allow iMessage to work. The latest version of chimera (chameleon, stolen and rebranded) fixes this by faking a Mac serial number. Just download it from tonycrapx86's site and install it.

Okay,

I think I got this one worked out. Seems the version of AppleACPIPlatform.kext is wrong and not compatible with our little Dell in ML. I removed it from S/L/E , E/E and S/L/E/myhack and put an older version 1.3.6 (Google for it) in S/L/E and ran MyFix/Full.

The first time it reboots there is no issue and I get to the desktop. The error in Console is gone now and my Kernel is prelinking fine, even with manual prelink in Terminal. Unfortunately subsequent boots fail with a KP. Only way to start ML is with the -f flag (so no kernel cache).

Upside is that the restart/shutdown seems to be working better (99% oke) and console is clean. I put the -f in boot.plist and that does it for me. I'm happy with my 'almost perfect' Dell Hack.

For who is interested, this is my workflow so far:

• Download bootpack from Dafob (link in post #1) with Extra and DSDT
  • Remove voodooPowerMini.kext from /Extra in bootpack to prevent errors in ML with CPU control
  • Make installer with MyHack and bootpack (instructions in Dafob's post) and install ML
  • After install, delete AppleACPIPlatform.kext and replace with version 1.3.6 (see top of this post)
  • Run MyFix-Full
  • Put -f in org.chameleon.boot.plist in /Extra under Kernel Flags (or enter when booting in command line)
  • Reboot

Have fun !

Are you sure that fixed the prelinking problem? On my machine, I've rolled the kext back to version 1.3.6, removed all other instances of it, and run a full MyFix and the problem persists. Kext Wizard verifies that version 1.3.6 is loaded, so I'm not sure what the problem is...