Wanted : EDP 4 or Older

vipjun

The new EDP 5 is not working for my system:

Dell D620 GMA 950 1440x900

Mac OSX LION

Could anyone with the older EDP's upload their EDP files so I can use those.  My old EDP was erased when EDP 5 came out and i don't know how to get that back.

Thanks.

Edit:

System BSOD mostly due to chameleon 2181 boot loader.  using 2170 seems to be more stable

although BSOD still happen.

• Administrators

EDP 5.0 worked perfectly 2days ago when I updated my D620 and did a system rebuild from EDPWeb. I guess you might have had a problem during update. Try and download a fresh copy and do a (full) re-installation. Then use /Extra/edpweb.command to redo your system build.

Hi Herve, I remade a myhack install to use 10.7.5 and updated EDP like you suggested.

Everything seemed to be working for about 10 minutes or so and then the restart computer screen of death started appearing.

It seems when opening the edpweb tool the chance of that msg coming up is pretty high.

These are some of the things I've done since installing EDP, would any of them seem cautionary to you ?

1) Installed EDP with default settings + GMA brightness fixer

2) Installed chudtools and GMAbooster

3) Installed software updates: safari, itunes, airport

the first restart screen happened during the software update.  I had it running for about 30minutes when it happened.

Once the first restart screen pops out the system goes downhill from there.

If I start getting kernal panics / restarts screens.

What would be the best way to reset the ktxts ?

Would booting with the usb installer and using myhack to install the boot EDP's be the best way ?

Do I need to delete my current /extra folder before attempting this ?

• Administrators

I'd try and change the kext setup and choose your own settings as opposed to default ones:

• VoodooPS2 controller
  • Patched AppleHDA for STAC9200 audio
  • Voodoo Battery
  • Emulated SpeedStep
  • TSCsync
  • NullCPUPwrMgmt
  • ACPIFix (Coolbook fix)
  • GMA950 fix

I did a new System Build using the above on my D620 GMA950 running SL10.6.8 earlier tonight and that worked Ok. I had previously used the default settings and experienced KP/BSOD, presumably due to VoodooHDA audio kext.

Try the above and let us know.

I think you're right about the audio kext being the cause of BSOD herve,

I've tried those kext with both audio kexts

EDP default voodoo 3
Patched AppleHDA for STAC 9200 audio.

and gotten the BSOD.

I also tried installing everything and having no audio kext. So far its been over an hour and hasn't BSOD'd

Any suggestions ?

Started getting BSOD this morning.

First instance was when installing time machine.

rolled back Chameleon to r2170 from  r2181 by copying the boot file over to root folder.

System seemed stable.

(1hr later)

Proceeded to update EDP with Herve's Kext including the stac 9200 audio.

No BSOD's so far, 2hrs + and counting

Seems Kernel panic'd after 3-4 hrs. some how chameleon replaced itself with the r2181 ver.  likely from accidentally clicking edpweb.

system ran fine for a good day until this morning when I tried to setup imap mail and it was downloading heavy amounts of msg's and then bsod.

i think there is a high chance the system would bsod during a prime numbers test.

To new users with this laptop, i think snow leopard might be a more stable choice unless you have to use Lion, id avoid as it reminds me more of setting up linux in the early days.

Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful for all the help of the osxlatitude community which without them, I wouldn't be able to even have osx running.  but keep in mind, osx LION on a D620 with the current EDP configuration is more of an experimental than stable, and likely lose hours of productivity from making it work and the random bsods.  I'm sure some other osx versions with the right hardware runs almost seamless.

• Administrators
system ran fine for a good day until this morning when I tried to setup imap mail and it was downloading heavy amounts of msg's and then bsod.

i think there is a high chance the system would bsod during a prime numbers test.

To new users with this laptop, i think snow leopard might be a more stable choice unless you have to use Lion, id avoid as it reminds me more of setting up linux in the early days.

Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful for all the help of the osxlatitude community which without them, I wouldn't be able to even have osx running.  but keep in mind, osx LION on a D620 with the current EDP configuration is more of an experimental than stable, and likely lose hours of productivity from making it work and the random bsods.  I'm sure some other osx versions with the right hardware runs almost seamless.

There's a new FileNVRam version which could remove the issues previously experienced. By all means, do contribute to the community by testing it and giving feedback. That's how it works...