so how do I get wired ethernet to work?

alivh

After trials and tribulations reported here:

https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/2149-inspiron-e1705-gma-950-goes-black-before-os-install-screen/

my Inspiron e1705 seems to be running grand on 10.6.8 as a Latitude D620 - except that my wired ethernet doesn't work.

Any suggestions?

Installing the AppleBCM440XEthernet.kext file from a prior iFail install (using Kext Utility) allows ethernet to at least show up in System Preferences > Network, but it won't work either manually or by DHCP.

At the moment I'm successfully using an Edimax EW-7811Un wifi dongle, but I'd like to get wired ethernet working right.

OT, but I was so pleased that the MyHack+EDP install let SLEEP work, that I've even ordered a Dell 1505 wifi card to replace the wifi dongle for this beast.

Many thanks!

Update: after a two-week wait for the 1505 card to arrive from Hong Kong, I've given up on my quest to make wired ethernet work, because I got nowhere with it and the 1505 card works perfectly as airport.

My previous successful install (using iFail3v2) installed the AppleBCM440XEthernet.kext, which I notice is present in boot pack for the Inspiron 9400.

However, I used the boot pack for a D620 GMA install this time, and it has the AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext in the Extra/Extensions of the bootpack. I don't see that file actually installed on my hard drive, however.

What steps need to be taken to get the AppleBCM440XEthernet.kext properly incorporated into my installation, so I can get wired ethernet working?

Simply copy the BCM440xxx kext from the Inspiron 9400 botpack to /E/E, then run myFix (full).

Thank you for that. It did allow me to install the kext, but something else must still need to be done, as the computer insists that no ethernet cable is connected. I'll use my wifi dongle instead for now.

• Administrators

Mmm, could you check the Vendor id and Device id of the LAN card? That'll help us confirm wether it's supported by the above kext or if it needs another one. But if the card is detected, it usually means PCI ids are covered.

Mmm, could you check the Vendor id and Device id of the LAN card? That'll help us confirm wether it's supported by the above kext or if it needs another one. But if the card is detected, it usually means PCI ids are covered.

I believe that info is in this line of the lspci dump in my other post:

03:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX [14e4:170c] (rev 02)

If not, please let me know where to look. Again thank you!

See if this helps: add the line 'max_valid_dma_addr=1024' to your Kernel flags in your com.apple.Boot.plist
I have done this now. (It does not appear to make a difference.)

At best, using "configure with DHCP" using the ethernet cable normally plugged into my Mac Mini, I get a self-assigned IP internal address and no connection to my router.

At least I'm not getting a "no ethernet cable connected" message. But I can't connect to my router even if I assign correct IP numbers everywhere, manually rather than via DHCP.

So where do I go from here?

I have posted the vendor and device ids and limited the dma to 1024. I have also tried BCM440xxx kexts from the 9400 and my successful iFail install.

One useful piece of info I can add. I have another partition with the iFail S3V2 install running 10.6.8. Ethernet worked fine on it until did the myfix + edp install. Now if I boot into that partition, ethernet reports a self-assigned address. But if I use an iboot (chameleon, stolen and rebranded) CD to select the iFail partition, ethernet works OK.

Does that suggest any diagnosis of what the cause of the problem might be? Again, thank you for your help & patience.