Display backlight Driver for Asus Notebooks

EMlyDinEsH

Kernel Panic on Zenbook Prime (OSX 10.8.4) both version. Can you fix it? Thanks a lot.

This kext is working for notebooks equipped with intel 2nd Gen CPU noteboooks, but its not working from 3rd Gen CPU notebooks as far as I know. I have re-uploaded the kext again so try it and let me know.

What you mean by "so search for STBR and copy the path frond Gm there and edit in the above code" ?

You have to search the keyword "STBR" in dsdt and get the path details you will find with this method there and replace the exact patch of the STBR method in the code i provided.

Hi EMlyDinEsH,

I have Asus U30Jc (1st gen IntelHD graphics + Nvidia 310M disabled via DSDT to save battery) and I can change brightness OOB using "original" keys (Fn+F5,Fn+F6 ) but slider is not working and I there is no bezel (bezel appears when i press Fn+PauseBreak, Fn+Delete but does nothing and seems both act as to increase brightness).

Please find attached my DSDT and tell if this can work on this notebook.

kernel log says:

04.10.2013 00:06:08,000 kernel[0]: AsusACPIBacklightPanel: ACPI Methods _DOS _BCL _BCM _BQC found. Device path: _SB.PNLF
04.10.2013 00:06:08,000 kernel[0]: Asus Notebooks Backlight driver v1.3 by EMlyDinEsH(OSXLatitude) Copyright (c) 2012-2013, Credits: Hotkoffy(insanelymac)
04.10.2013 00:07:30,000 kernel[0]: considerRebuildOfPrelinkedKernel com.apple.AsusACPIBackLightPanel triggered rebuild

--

best regards

fingerr

DSDT2.dsl.zip

• Administrators

you might have to backup then remove the original AppleACPIPlatform.kext from s/l/e when using EMlyDinEsH's kext. they might be conflicting and breaking kernel cache generation. then rebuild your kernel cache.

04.10.2013 00:07:30,000 kernel[0]: considerRebuildOfPrelinkedKernel com.apple.AsusACPIBackLightPanel triggered rebuild

you might have to backup then remove the original AppleACPIPlatform.kext from s/l/e when using EMlyDinEsH's kext. they might be conflicting and breaking kernel cache generation. then rebuild your kernel cache.

but it only hapen once at first boot after kext is loaded for first time, now lgo says:

04.10.2013 10:22:57,000 kernel[0]: AsusACPIBacklightPanel: ACPI Methods _DOS _BCL _BCM _BQC found. Device path: _SB.PNLF
04.10.2013 10:22:57,000 kernel[0]: Asus Notebooks Backlight driver v1.3 by EMlyDinEsH(OSXLatitude) Copyright (c) 2012-2013, Credits: Hotkoffy(insanelymac)

Another thing is, when I try to use slider it sets my brightness to minimum when I try to slide, the same happen when my display goes to sleep (not system sleep) and when I press mouse button it wakes with minimum brightness.

--

best regards

fingerr

I have a problem with DSDT on N53SV. This string gives me a compilation error

Subtract (0x0A, Local0, LBTN)

There are some other LBTN in my DSDT, but they aren't Methods, so I don't know what to do with them.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9f2ZOeBp9eLb00yUEFGWGlOdW8/edit?usp=sharing

This is a .dsl file with my attempts to get this working

Hi,

you've put PLNF device beyond Scope _SB.

Move your PLNF section just before last } in _SB scope:

now your DSDT looks like this:

}
    } // <- this one to remove
        Device (PNLF)
        {
            Name (_HID, EisaId ("APP0002"))
            Name (_CID, "backlight")
            Name (_UID, 0x0E)
            Name (_STA, 0x0B)
            Method (_BCL, 0, NotSerialized)
            {
                Return (\_SB.PCI0.GFX0.LCDD._BCL ())
            }
            Method (_BCM, 1, NotSerialized)
            {
                Store (One, \_SB.PCI0.GFX0.BCMD)
                Store (\_SB.PCI0.GFX0.GCBL (Arg0), Local0)
                \_SB.PCI0.SBRG.EC0.STBR ()
            }
            Method (_BQC, 0, NotSerialized)
            {
                Return (\_SB.PCI0.GFX0.LCDD._BQC ())
            }
            Method (_DOS, 1, NotSerialized)
            {
                \_SB.PCI0.GFX0._DOS (Arg0)
            }
        }

so you have to delete one "}" above and device PLNF and add one just after "}" closing PLNF device.

SO it'll look like this:

}
            Device (PNLF)
        {
            Name (_HID, EisaId ("APP0002"))
            Name (_CID, "backlight")
            Name (_UID, 0x0E)
            Name (_STA, 0x0B)
            Method (_BCL, 0, NotSerialized)
            {
                Return (\_SB.PCI0.GFX0.LCDD._BCL ())
            }
            Method (_BCM, 1, NotSerialized)
            {
                Store (One, \_SB.PCI0.GFX0.BCMD)
                Store (\_SB.PCI0.GFX0.GCBL (Arg0), Local0)
                \_SB.PCI0.SBRG.EC0.STBR ()
            }
            Method (_BQC, 0, NotSerialized)
            {
                Return (\_SB.PCI0.GFX0.LCDD._BQC ())
            }
            Method (_DOS, 1, NotSerialized)
            {
                \_SB.PCI0.GFX0._DOS (Arg0)
            }
        }
    } // <-this one to add

--

best regards

fingerr

• Like 1

Hi EMlyDinEsH,

Unfortunately your kext doesn't work. But I've got kext and guide from http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/287133-guide-backlight-brightness-for-intel-80860046-1st-gen-hd-gma-5700mhd/ working (with modifications from post 68 by jerrywilborn).

One thing is I can control brightness using FN+PauseBreak and FN+Delete not by default Asus ones FN+F5 and FN+F6.

Is there a way to change this?

Second thing is, using either your or other kext my LCDD is not detected, log says :

04.10.2013 22:55:34,000 kernel[0]: ACPIBacklightPanel: Version 1.2
04.10.2013 23:33:57,000 kernel[0]: ACPIBacklightPanel: ACPI Methods _DOS _BCL _BCM _BQC found. Device path: _SB.PNLF

or

05.10.2013 10:25:14,000 kernel[0]: AsusACPIBacklightPanel: ACPI Methods _DOS _BCL _BCM _BQC found. Device path: _SB.PNLF
05.10.2013 10:25:14,000 kernel[0]: Asus Notebooks Backlight driver v1.3 by EMlyDinEsH(OSXLatitude) Copyright (c) 2012-2013, Credits: Hotkoffy(insanelymac)

not 

LCDD detected or sth as described in original topic. I've tried many changes and adjustments to DSDT including changing device name from GFX0 to IGPU to be only one (I have optimus equipped notebook so there are few GFX0 entries).

Can you have a look at my current  DSDTand check why LCDD is not detected? 

Thanks in advance and best regards,

fingerr.

DSDT.aml.zip

Hi EMlyDinEsH,

Unfortunately your kext doesn't work. But I've got kext and guide from http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/287133-guide-backlight-brightness-for-intel-80860046-1st-gen-hd-gma-5700mhd/ working (with modifications from post 68 by jerrywilborn).

One thing is I can control brightness using FN+PauseBreak and FN+Delete not by default Asus ones FN+F5 and FN+F6.

Is there a way to change this?

Second thing is, using either your or other kext my LCDD is not detected, log says :

04.10.2013 22:55:34,000 kernel[0]: ACPIBacklightPanel: Version 1.2
04.10.2013 23:33:57,000 kernel[0]: ACPIBacklightPanel: ACPI Methods _DOS _BCL _BCM _BQC found. Device path: _SB.PNLF

or

05.10.2013 10:25:14,000 kernel[0]: AsusACPIBacklightPanel: ACPI Methods _DOS _BCL _BCM _BQC found. Device path: _SB.PNLF
05.10.2013 10:25:14,000 kernel[0]: Asus Notebooks Backlight driver v1.3 by EMlyDinEsH(OSXLatitude) Copyright (c) 2012-2013, Credits: Hotkoffy(insanelymac)

not 

LCDD detected or sth as described in original topic. I've tried many changes and adjustments to DSDT including changing device name from GFX0 to IGPU to be only one (I have optimus equipped notebook so there are few GFX0 entries).

Can you have a look at my current  DSDTand check why LCDD is not detected? 

Thanks in advance and best regards,

fingerr.

Hi,

Here is the edited dsdt file of yours with some changes needed for this driver to work with my Fn keys driver. Try this and let me know.

DSDT.aml.zip

I have a problem with DSDT on N53SV. This string gives me a compilation error

There are some other LBTN in my DSDT, but they aren't Methods, so I don't know what to do with them.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9f2ZOeBp9eLb00yUEFGWGlOdW8/edit?usp=sharing

This is a .dsl file with my attempts to get this working

Here is your edited dsdt and compiled by me with the changes needed for this driver to work.

DSDT.aml.zip

• Like 1

Hi,

Here is the edited dsdt file of yours with some changes needed for this driver to work with my Fn keys driver. Try this and let me know.

Hi,

thanks for this one, but AsusNBFnKeys.kext is not loaded after replacing DSDT.aml you've send.

Is there any other way to remap FN+PauseBreak and FN+ScrLK with FN+F5 and FN+F6?

p.s.

can you look at https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1946-complete-applehda-patching-guide/?p=23412 regarding AppleHDA mic problem?

Thanks for help!

--

best regards

fingerr