D830 ML Window lags

victoryo

using fakesmc ver5.1.59 and running ML 10.8.3.

Other kexts are:

ACPISensors

AppleACPIPlatform

AppleACPIPS2Nub

AppleHDA

ApplePS2Controller

BCM6722D

CPUSensors

FakeSMC

FakeSTAC9205

IO80211Family

IOATAFamily

IOAudioFamily

Ispcidrv

OSvKernDSPLib

Patched_10.7_AppleRTC

Voodoobattery

VoodooTSCSync

All of them are installed by EDP.

• Administrators

You should no longer need those xxxSensors kexts in /E/E. If you lookup within the PlugIns folder of the FakeSMC kext, I'd expect you to see 4 sensor kexts in there. This could be the cause of your issue.

for anyone that is interested the FakeSMC+MBP5,1 SMBios method works with impressive results.

Native speedstep + instant gpu throttling.

Also setting the resolution at 1600x1000 window lag is minimised

Well done to the restless people who showed the way!!!

• Administrators

Just to complement this, today I got access to my friend's D830 nVidia (135M) again so I implemented this fine-tuning. The laptop runs ML 10.8.3 on a 2.2GHz T7500 and WXGA 1280x800 LCD, still I used the MBP5,1 settings and all works just fine afterwards: native SpeedStep + GPU clocking.

D830_T7500_NVS-135M.jpg

The only differences I see compared to the D630 are the reported GPU core/memory frequencies: 168/100MHz, 275/199MHz and 400/399MHz, where I was seeing higher memory clockings on the D630. Can't see any obvious performance impact though, everything remains very smooth.

The reported T° appear excellent too: CPU idles around 45-48°C and GPU around 54-55°C at 168/100MHz. I noticed a Tjmax at 90 in the system log so I manually edited the CPUSensors kext's plist to set Tjmax to 100 (previously, this sort of things was done in IntelCPUMonitor kext), otherwise reported CPU T° are a good 10° lower.

XBench 32bit gave me a result of 3063 on 1st run (D830 has 2Go DDR2-667 and 120Go 5400rpm HDD).

NB:

• MB5,1 and/or MBP5,1 SMC ids and SMBIOS profiles can both be used. I did not see any obvious difference between the 2 during my tests (though they were not extensive), although GPU throttling might be a bit quicker with MBP5,1 than MB5,1.
  • MB4,1 settings break native SpeedStep and limit GPU to 275MHz, so that cannot be used.
  • Regardless of the selected SMC id & SMBIOS profile, IDA BIOS mode is not supported with that T7500 CPU: if enabled, FSB speed gets reduced from 200 to 182MHz. That differs from the T9300 with which IDA can be enabled without impact.

digging up an old post here but i didn't know where to ask.

I recently played with an imac7,1 smbios on a desktop pc which included the following lines:

<key>SMexternalclock</key>
        <string>200</string>
        <key>SMmaximalclock</key>
        <string>2200</string>

My cpu is a pentium E2160 @ 1.8GHz but after using that smbios hwmonitor shows throttling up to 2,2 ghz. Is it true or is it "fake"?

Can someone oc just by messing with smbios???