Kext to disable Intel Turbo Boost on Battery Power

qwerty12

Do you happen to have Xcode installed? I think the problem is that I built it against the 10.8 SDK, but if I wanted to build it for Lion, I'd have to install Lion and I have neither the space nor the time to do so, sorry

If you set up your Hackintosh with EDP and enabled the option, you'll have this kext installed through it.

Otherwise, the quick and easy way to check is by running sudo dmesg | grep "Turbo Boost". If you get results like "Disabled Turbo Boost" or "(Re-)Enabled Turbo Boost", the kext is installed.

• Like 1

If you set up your Hackintosh with EDP and enabled the option, you'll have this kext installed through it.

Otherwise, the quick and easy way to check is by running sudo dmesg | grep "Turbo Boost". If you get results like "Disabled Turbo Boost" or "(Re-)Enabled Turbo Boost", the kext is installed.

thank you. but what is EDP

• Like 1

thank you. but what is EDP

http://www.osxlatitude.com/edp/

I take it you don't have it installed then (since it's only offered here and in EDP, you would know if you installed it yourself). OS X's default behaviour is not to disable Turbo Boost when running on battery power, so if you don't have my kext installed, Turbo Boost will still be active on battery. You can install the kext by downloading Kext Wizard and using it to install the attached kext in the first post or if you just want to try it out without installing it, read post 7 in this thread

• Like 1

Finally got brave enough to try this and it doesnt seem to make any difference on Lion 10.7.5

I installed using kext wizard to S/L/E, repaired permissions, rebooted :(

I just finally bit the bullet and installed 10.8.4 :) on my probook 4330s

Works as you said. The only problem I found is that when I take the battery out (while running on AC) the throttling is also engaged. When I put the battery back in, turbo is back on.

Any chance someone can take a quick look and see if you can reproduce this?

Otherwise, thanks for this!

Works as you said. The only problem I found is that when I take the battery out (while running on AC) the throttling is also engaged. When I put the battery back in, turbo is back on. 

Hey,

I didn't envision that scenario, admittedly... I just tried doing the same on my laptop and Turbo Boost remains on:

9bxUiFA.jpg

However, after looking some more, I realised my laptop is stupid and leaves the ExternalChargeCapable property (the one that the kext listens to) set to true when I pop the battery out of my laptop. Could you do the following, please? Open IORegistryExplorer, find AppleSmartBattery and check the following:

• Does the ExternalConnected property change to false when you unplug the charger cable from your laptop with the battery still remaining inserted?
  • Does ExternalConnected remain true when you remove the battery with the charger cable connected?
Thanks!