Audio Help for D620

rayray88

I'm trying to get the audio to work for my d620. It's the Sigmatel STAC 9200 chipset. I've tried almost everything from the voodoohda.kext to the a modified AppleHDA.ket to the EDP stuff that's on here to even that program that has a frog for an icon that you're not supposed to use on version above 10.4.x . I have everything else working.

here's my specs:

D620

OS X Version 10.6.0

Intel T7200

Nvidia Quadro 110m

Sigmatel STAC 92xx C-Major Chip

Apple Airport (BCM4318 PCIe Mini Card)

Again everything works except for the audio I have no idea why, the quickset buttons even adjust the volume but nothing comes out of the speakers. I got the volume meter to appear in the bar also but adjusting it doesn't change the volume at all. It's still mute. I've googled all day, literally. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

what version of edp did you use?

I used the latest one that was posted in History and Changelog so v1.5. The one thing that I didn't do was upgrade Chameleon to RC5. Last time I upgraded to RC5 is got a kernel panic on boot and I wasn't able to get into OS X. I created a time machine backup this time so maybe I'll try and update to RC5 and if something goes wrong I'll revert to my backup and post my results here. Thanks for you help.

EDIT:

So I've installed Chameleon RC5 (I haven't rebooted yet), however, when I run EDP in Terminal and select option for fixes and then option 1 for the Touch and other fixes OS X throws erros

'The system extension "/System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext" was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling ir, or contact the product's vendor for an update.'

and

'The system extension "/System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleHDAController.kext" was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling ir, or contact the product's vendor for an update

I'm gonna restart my computer but thought I should post those messages first.

• Downvote 1

I used the latest one that was posted in History and Changelog so v1.5. The one thing that I didn't do was upgrade Chameleon to RC5. Last time I upgraded to RC5 is got a kernel panic on boot and I wasn't able to get into OS X. I created a time machine backup this time so maybe I'll try and update to RC5 and if something goes wrong I'll revert to my backup and post my results here. Thanks for you help.

EDIT:

So I've installed Chameleon RC5 (I haven't rebooted yet) I've rebooted and can confirm that the cause of the kernel panic is RC5, however, when I boot from the bootloader emulator DVD which has RC3 on it it works fine.

When I run EDP in Terminal and select option for fixes and then option 1 for the Touch and other fixes OS X throws erros

'The system extension "/System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext" was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling ir, or contact the product's vendor for an update.'

and

'The system extension "/System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleHDAController.kext" was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling ir, or contact the product's vendor for an update

I'm gonna restart my computer but thought I should post those messages first.

• Administrators

It seems you have put kexts in S/l/E in the past. Remove any voodoo or other audio kexts that you have installed to that directory. then run edptool again for your build

EDP tool script will put it in e/e (Extra/Extensions)... NOT s/l/e (/system/library/extensions)

The fastest way for us to trouble shoot problems is if you use our methods and tools on a fresh install.. It rules out alot of previous install issues

It seems you have put kexts in S/l/E in the past. Remove any voodoo or other audio kexts that you have installed to that directory. then run edptool again for your build

EDP tool script will put it in e/e (Extra/Extensions)... NOT s/l/e (/system/library/extensions)

The fastest way for us to trouble shoot problems is if you use our methods and tools on a fresh install.. It rules out alot of previous install issues

Ok thanks, I'm gonna do a fresh install and then capture an image of it just in case. Then before I do more I'll post back here. Thanks again

I did a fresh install of OS X and created a time machine back and image of the hard drive, overkill i know, but just in case.

So I guess the question now is should I just go about installing Chameleon RC5 and EDP just like the tutorial says? Or do something different?

Edited by rayray88

So I got Chameleon RC5 to finally allow me to boot in OS X. I had to download a dsdt for my laptop (D620 nVidia) and then place it into the /Extra folder and then all was well. However, It does take an additional 10-12 seconds to boot into OS X than it did with RC3. But at least it's working now! I have another question also. When people say that they got their audio "working" does that mean that they can plug their headphones in and hear sound or that they get sound through their speakers? The reason why I ask is because I was dumb and never checked before to see if I got sound from the headphone jack and I tried it after getting RC5 to work and it did. I'm just curious as to what "working audio" means.

I've done everything possible and I got the speakers to work once but I wasn't sure how I did it lol. Also I was stupid and was messing with a kext that totally messed up my touch pad so I ended up restoring to an old backup that didn't have audio working. However, I know it's possible now. I just can't figure out why it's not working >_<