Reverting dell bios.from apple custom bios on d620.

Crankyshaft

Hi everyone!,

Thanks to all who contribute to this forum in any way and to OSX latitude for it's tireless efforts.

I have replaced my OEM bios on my D620 with custom bios and would like to revert back to bios A10.I used the recommended flashdrive method.

I see the instructions state to use a floppy drive and the recovery file,but no mention of being able to recover with the flashdrive or even how to.

Is it possible to just flash back to A10 as I would with anyother  biosupdate,or is there a catch.

Don't want to brick a perfect machine. Sorry if this has already been discussed but I can't seem to find any reference to it.

Regards,

me personaly  the easiest way to reflash my bios was to install windows on say a 40g hard drive and just download the bios update from dell and install as an a exe. file ,. now you can only do this as an update as a A14 or higher you cant downgrade a bios to an earlier version ,. I did somewhere a while back write about I used an cd with a windows dos program to create a bios recoverable cd cause I did the same mistake with A17 and cound not downgrade at the time , but its been ages and I forgot the name but it did work like a charm , but honestly the windows .exe is the easiest and best way

Thanks Geo,

I didn't think of the win option since I've always used either a floppy or flashdrive.I don't have a working external floppy anymore so I am limited at the moment to a flashdrive

or your suggestions. I was worried mostly about being able to return it to the A10 bios at all  without the custom bios butting heads with it and bricking it.

I really see no reason why a cd shouldn't work,I believe that was the way I went to A10 in first place, I must have it somewhere duh!.

thanks again!

• Administrators

This has been discussed several times on the forum before. Do a search on say "BIOS recovery" and you'll find various instructions. It's the same process across the D Series (and other models too). Simplest way is the method with a .hdr BIOS file on a USB key.