Think I might have found a working 10.8 GMA 950 kext!

JamerTheProgrammer

Hey guys!
Just found this thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1550560&page=2

Sounds like this guy made some GMA 950 kexts for Mountain Lion with QE/CI! Do you think this might get QE/CI working on the Core 2 Duo D430?
:D

Picture proof of it working on a GMA 950! 

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=16933676&postcount=9

• Administrators

Ok, well, I don't want to ruin your early enthusiasm, but this is highly unlikely to work on our hacks. And no, no-one made any GMA950/GMA X3100 kexts for ML.

This is a rather dirty, not to say completely fu**ed up method (!):

1) it basically replaces the entire /S/L/E folder of mainstream ML by /S/L/E of DP1, to which 32bit graphics kexts from Lion have been added

2) it replaces the entire /S/L/F OpenGL folder of mainstream ML by an edited one (from DP1?)

2) it replaces mainstream Mach kernel with DP1 kernel (to support 32bit mode)

Simply open up the install.command script with a text editor and you'll see... This leads to some sort of seriously degenerated 32bit version of ML!  :blink:

The result is that some real Mac can boot ML in 32bit mode and, thanks to Lion graphics kexts, then fully supports those GMA950 & GMA X3100 graphics chips dropped by mainstream ML.

However, there's no guarantee that our EDP add-on kexts will load under DP1 kernel or that certain applications or utilities will even work on such bastardized installations. One of the replies in the thread mentions that Disk Utility no longer works and others mentioned losing networking too... One could argue that running ML DP1 itself would probably work better!

I'm going to test this on D620/D630 Intel, but this may just end up as a red herring... This is very very different from the proper job done by Nawcom & Co on SL legacy kernels where each particular version of kernel was patched or the myHack clever way of bypassing /S/L/E vanilla kexts to load replacements from /E/E. /S/L/E should always be left untouched!

On top of that, it's not really sustainable:

• you lose any new kexts provided in any mainstream ML that's not included in DP1 list
  • you would have to repeat the task after every ML update, again losing all potential new kexts brought by the update

It's probably kind of lucky that it worked at all on 10.8.1/10.8.2 installations (and it looks like it does not on 10.8.3). I guess, this has a better chance to work on older Macs than later ones dropped by Apple for ML. But calling and locking on DP1 kernel + kexts is just kind of stupid to me...

• Administrators
This is really getting accel running under ML just for the sake of it haha.

Yes, kind of... I tried briefly on my D630 GMA, but quickly stopped when I met problem booting the DP1 kernel; there's just no point at all.

• Administrators

These guys have been busy refining their initial work and published an app. It seems it's not directly usable on our Hackintoshes (it's really geared for older Apple Macs), but I managed to use it and got ML installed on (previously) unsupported systems. I'm putting a post under "Other research" section.