D630 Lion great performance but no ethernet connection

muranb

Some great info in these forums - turned me from a complete hackintosh noob (not scared to admit that) into someone who has Lion working almost perfectly on my D630 Intel 2GB and for the spec, very fast too!

I say almost as I am unable to get the LAN working at all in Lion. I am one of the unfortunate ones with the unsupported intel wifi card so am falling back on the LAN  (or trying to) whilst I await the arrival of my replacement (considering the Broadcom Bcm94312mc​g so please let me know if this will not work)...

My Ethernet adapter is the 'Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller'. I know this covers many different variations so PCWizard shows it up as a BCM95755m. I am pretty sure this is unsupported in Lion but would love to be told otherwise. I have tried the boot pack for my system which was installed during the MyHack installation but no joy.

Prior to Lion I have had Mountain Lion and Snow Leopard running on this D630. Snow Leopard had the same issue with not showing the etherhet card but strangely in ML it was present immediately on booting - it's just a shame I was unable to keep ML due to the incredibly poor graphics performance.

So, after three days of tinkering this is where I am ...

Running Lion very nicely but tearing my hair out trying to get it connected. I have been unable to try EDP as it says an internet connection is required. Incidentally, EDP killed my ML installation (until I used MyHack to install Extra to undo the damage so I'm a little reluctant to use that).

If anyone has any ideas please shout up and thanks in advance.

Update:

Thought I had solved the above by updating the IONetworkingFamily.kext and repairing permissions in Disk Utility - after doing so everything was fine until next boot.

Crashed with wifi card enabled and when disabled Lion loaded but the networking preferences were unavailable. The process froze every time I tried to select network.

Further investigation showed the IONetworkingFamily.kext file greyed out in S/L/E so guessing this has something to do with it. Even replacing the original file and fixing permissions has not brought the network option back so I'm now onto my third reinstall of Lion and this is getting tedious.

Any ideas... anyone?

Resolved - this was not down to the above .kext at all - more some anomaly with the way Lion sees the ethernet adapter, i.e. it doesn't immediately. Relevant .kext required followed by a bit of fiddling in network settings.

• Administrators

Yes, you just need the correct BCM57xx kext in /E/E, followed by myFix (full). Normally, at the next reboot, Mac OS X pop ups a message about a new interface being detected. You then have to go to the Network pref pane and click on the + button at the bottom to manually add it from the list of available interfaces; that "activates" it.

Thanks, this is the conclusion I reached. Working well now, the IONetworkingFamily.kext was a complete red herring!

There are a few other little niggles I have with my install but after what I have learned about the world of hackintosh over the last few days that's to be expected I think.