Trouble installing ML on E6500

lidow

Based on what you've indicated you've done, and assuming you have used the laptop to run another OS prior to the installation attempt(s) of ML, my thoughts are there is either a corrupt download (either of the OS, MyHack or one of the kexts) or a flash drive or hard drive that is bad or failing, or wasn't formatted completely. You said you used App Store downloads, Turned off or removed anything that could have interfered with installation and appear to have used the right kexts. Some things I can think of: try using the SATA drive to install to, remove your downloads and run disk utility to repair permissions on the drive that is being used to create the installer and re-format the installer flash drive, maybe even with a security pass format (or use another drive). The thing you mentioned that seemed odd was your inability to properly eject the installer drive upon completing creation. One other thing I thought of - what BIOS version are you running? A27 should be the latest.

Based on what you've indicated you've done, and assuming you have used the laptop to run another OS prior to the installation attempt(s) of ML, my thoughts are there is either a corrupt download (either of the OS, MyHack or one of the kexts) or a flash drive or hard drive that is bad or failing, or wasn't formatted completely. You said you used App Store downloads, Turned off or removed anything that could have interfered with installation and appear to have used the right kexts. Some things I can think of: try using the SATA drive to install to, remove your downloads and run disk utility to repair permissions on the drive that is being used to create the installer and re-format the installer flash drive, maybe even with a security pass format (or use another drive). The thing you mentioned that seemed odd was your inability to properly eject the installer drive upon completing creation. One other thing I thought of - what BIOS version are you running? A27 should be the latest.

This is my work laptop and I use it all the time under Windows 7. It is pretty loaded during my work day and it is stable. In past with this configuration it also  has in parallel to Windows 7 - FreeBSD and Ubuntu. Currently this partition is free and wait the Hackintosh.

The flash drive is brand new, I bought it just for the Hackintosh purpose. 16GB USB2 (HP v210w). Maybe I will do some validation for errors etc...have to find the proper tool.

I'm on latest BIOS - A27 from long time.

Indeed there could be a chance for corrupted download of OS install, but during building process with MyHack, I can see it is validated. Anyway I will delete it and download it again.

As for MyHack and other kexts and tools, I download them multiple times. For example yesterday, I delete all downloaded applications and do a fresh download, as names are pretty close and I want to be sure about the version I use.

I already tried removing SSD, and leave only the SATA disk, no change. Although I'm not sure whether SATA disk is using GUID partitions.

The inability to unmount is this indexing process I'm killing and then I'm ready to go. It happens almost every time, sometimes it is enough just to plug the usb and this process to start and lock the device, sometimes I have to keep it longer. 

My Mac is pretty new - 1 month, I still not use it for anything else, but browsing or use iTerm. Anyway, maybe I will try to reinstall it, as in the very beginning I've managed to hang it several times. In addition XBMC is pretty unstable. So there could be a problem with the mac or the OSX installation I have.

I set up another hard drive last night, doing a dual boot to validate the process. I will go through the setup. I used a copy of 10.8.2 (though 10.8.3 should also work). First, I downloaded the bootpack, unzipped it and removed the "arch" & "i386" key and string from the org.chameleon.Boot.plist, replaced it in the folder and left the folder on the desktop. I downloaded the 10.8.2 edited NVidia kexts and put them on the desktop, then I downloaded the IOPCIFamily.kext and placed it on the desktop and downloaded kext wizard. I then created my installer using MyHack (and as mentioned 10.8.2). After creating my installer, using Kext wizard, I replaced the IOPCIFamily.kext. Make sure you click on the installer tab, click on backup replaced kexts, drag the kext into the box, choose to install it to the USB (not the hard drive and choose S/L/E LAST. (if you do not choose it last, it will switch the install to E/E). Use MyHack to run a MyFix (FULL) on the USB. Do the same thing with your 3 NVidia kexts (again, make sure to install them to S/L/E by choosing that LAST and run a Full MyFix again. Last, open the USB installer, right click on the Extra folder within and send to trash. Take the Extra folder (the bootpack) on your desktop that you modified earlier, copy it, and paste it in the installer window you removed the folder from. Close it and run a my fix (full) on the USB. Eject it when completed. I had to force eject mine. Make sure BIOS is set to AHCI, and shut off wireless when installing. *****If installing only OSx, plug in installer, reboot, tapping the f12 key to bring up the one time boot menu, choose your USB, use verbose (-v) on boot. Use disk utility to format your drive, choosing GUID partition in options, name the partition whatever you like (Macintosh OSx, whatever and OSX journaled (extended), click apply. Exit disk utility, continue with the installer, choosing to install on the newly formatted drive (Depending on the flash drive and hard drive should take from 15 - 30 minutes). Near the end with 1 - 2 minutes left, a pop-up will appear asking to use either the Generic Extra or your own. Choose your own, then in the box that opens, choose the Extra folder (probably a few down from the top, then open, it will install the bootpack. You will get three pop-ups about deleting kexts, choose yes on all three. A few minutes later it will complete (may say it failed, most likely it didn't). At restart, tap the f2 key to enter BIOS and turn wireless options back on, hit exit and you should boot into your install and set up ML.

If you want to do a dual boot with Windows, let me know, the initial partitioning is a little different, I will explain it.

I set up another hard drive last night, doing a dual boot to validate the process. I will go through the setup. I used a copy of 10.8.2 (though 10.8.3 should also work). First, I downloaded the bootpack, unzipped it and removed the "arch" & "i386" key and string from the org.chameleon.Boot.plist, replaced it in the folder and left the folder on the desktop. I downloaded the 10.8.2 edited NVidia kexts and put them on the desktop, then I downloaded the IOPCIFamily.kext and placed it on the desktop and downloaded kext wizard. I then created my installer using MyHack (and as mentioned 10.8.2). After creating my installer, using Kext wizard, I replaced the IOPCIFamily.kext. Make sure you click on the installer tab, click on backup replaced kexts, drag the kext into the box, choose to install it to the USB (not the hard drive and choose S/L/E LAST. (if you do not choose it last, it will switch the install to E/E). Use MyHack to run a MyFix (FULL) on the USB. Do the same thing with your 3 NVidia kexts (again, make sure to install them to S/L/E by choosing that LAST and run a Full MyFix again. Last, open the USB installer, right click on the Extra folder within and send to trash. Take the Extra folder (the bootpack) on your desktop that you modified earlier, copy it, and paste it in the installer window you removed the folder from. Close it and run a my fix (full) on the USB. Eject it when completed. I had to force eject mine. Make sure BIOS is set to AHCI, and shut off wireless when installing. *****If installing only OSx, plug in installer, reboot, tapping the f12 key to bring up the one time boot menu, choose your USB, use verbose (-v) on boot. Use disk utility to format your drive, choosing GUID partition in options, name the partition whatever you like (Macintosh OSx, whatever and OSX journaled (extended), click apply. Exit disk utility, continue with the installer, choosing to install on the newly formatted drive (Depending on the flash drive and hard drive should take from 15 - 30 minutes). Near the end with 1 - 2 minutes left, a pop-up will appear asking to use either the Generic Extra or your own. Choose your own, then in the box that opens, choose the Extra folder (probably a few down from the top, then open, it will install the bootpack. You will get three pop-ups about deleting kexts, choose yes on all three. A few minutes later it will complete (may say it failed, most likely it didn't). At restart, tap the f2 key to enter BIOS and turn wireless options back on, hit exit and you should boot into your install and set up ML.

If you want to do a dual boot with Windows, let me know, the initial partitioning is a little different, I will explain it.

During the weekend I reinstalled my mac, I wipe it and had my hard time reinstalling it from Internet recovery. Looks like the problem was residing either in NVRAM (find key combination to clean it) or the second monitor that was attach to the hdmi port, but was switched off. Anyway at the end it managed to boot correctly the recovery console and I've manged to finish the installation. 

I have fresh downloads of all needed components on freshly installed mac, now I will follow above step very closely, I even have a blank HDD just for the purpose. If installer start and pass, I will play with dual boot on my SSD.

My SSD currently has 2 MBR partitions + unpartitioned space, first is system (boot) small partition and 2nd is windows 7 install partition. I plan to install OS X on the unpartitioned space left on the SSD.

To make things easier (and quicker), when setting up the drive to install OSx, I do the following: (this is for a dual boot, if making a triple boot, size them and format them accordingly). I set it up using two partitions, the first partition I use for OSx, Go to Volume scheme and choose 2 partitions, go to Options, choose GUID, then OK.  Click on the first partition, Label it, choose to format it Mac OSx extended (Journaled). I click on the second partition, label it Windows, and format with MSDOS (fat). After the disk is partitioned, i remove installer, insert my Windows media, I set up as a custom install (New install, not upgrade), install to the partition named Windows (choose drive options and choose to format that partition prior to installing), click OK and next. When windows has finished installing, I reboot with the OSx installer, install OSx on to the first partition. Make your OSx partition active. By doing this second, your Chameleon bootloader isn't removed by Windows, saving the trouble of re-installing. You should be able to boot without the installer next time around, to the Chameleon screen. Update both partitions, and if desired, rename your Windows partition, and add the time fix (so both partitions show the same time)

To make things as simple as possible I did:

* remove all wireless cards (bluetooth, wlan, wwan)

* remove my current HDDs (ssd and normal HDD in the CD bay)

* remove sim card and sdcard

* put empty HDD 

* put CDROM

Build install flash drive and make a movie with exact process (there is one extra "s" in the video when I saved E6500 boot pack, I notice it and remove it later, not in the video though). 

Here is the video:

Let me know if you have trouble to open it.

Anyway, no luck, and my Hackintosh still stays in the status "desired to happen".

It was difficult for my to see which version of ML you used to create your installer. Using the information I saw in earlier posts, you have both 10.8.2 and 10.8.3. For purposes of this, use 10.8.2 to create the installer. After installing the kexts, DO NOT run the maintenance from Kext Wizard, just run the (FULL) MyFix after each install. Also run a (FULL) MyFix after copying over the Extra folder to the installer. This will hopefully avoid the re-boot. After it starts installing, when you get to the installer, use disk utility to format the drive, then continue with the install. With about 1-2 minutes left, it will ask about the Extra folder. Choose Use My Own, and in the window point it to the Extra you have placed in the installer and when the three kext notifications come you, choose to delete them. When complete (may say Install failed - it probably did not). Reboot from installer and choose the Hard Drive (whatever you named it during formatting). Should boot into your install and allow you to set up your installation.

Yes I have both, but MyHack is failing on mounting and validating step with 10.8.2. I'm using 10.8.3.

I'll do the additional MyFix and will skip the maintenance. I'm far from seeing the installer disk utility.