D630 Lion pretty much spot on - backup options in case of disaster?

muranb

Having spent several days learning the art of hackintosh and getting Lion the way I want it on my D630 I've got the install time (from scratch) down to about 1.5 hours (allowing for combo update) using myHack / EDP, all thanks to this forum :-)

Now, what's my best option for saving this config for use later in the event that I need to restore? Is it a case of going through it all again or is there a way I can kind of take a snap shot of where I am at with all relevant kexts installed and everything working - much the same as I can make an image in Windows and ghost it back to the HDD?

Fairly new to mac and certainly to hackintosh but having great fun! I know about time machine but are there other recommended methods as that would require a working install with everything installed to restore to I assume?

• Administrators

In your case, I'd go for a full disk image that will basically make a complete copy of your HDD contents and store it in an image. You can then restore that image and you'll get an exact mirror copy of your current HDD setup.

Then, for more regular backups, use the Time Machine facility provided by OS X.

• Administrators

I could be wrong of course, but I believe most ghosting tools don't care about filesystems. Do a search on the forum, there's one particular package that's often recommended for cloning HDDs (I forgot its name), use that.

I have often wondered about this topic myself?, is it possible to do a back up with time machine and if all goes pear shaped with it install my system as is with all the osx extras , kexts and other goodies installed on my dell?, i didn't realise you could use back up with this computer not being a mac?, will the time machine back up copy Chameleon and all the rest of the mackintosh files and restore as is now please?

• Administrators

i highly doubt any of those software's will backup chameleon... but you should be able to reinstall chameleon. as for time machine.... im sure it would be a very slow process if at all possible. you can also just partition a disk and clone your install.

Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper or DiskUtility or Clonezilla all work for free.

Thanks, I will check those out...

Just to clarify, as SuperDuper is a mac app - are you saying I can clone the working partition from within the hackintosh environment? I kinda assumed I would need to remove the HDD and drop it in another machine, boot from chosen cloning media to carry out the process.

Can it really be as simple as running the program from within the hackintosh environment?