D630 Lion Intel - Rapid battery drain

muranb

As title really, my D630 Intel running 10.7.5 seems to be eating battery, noticeably moreso than when in Windows 8 (dual booting).

My question is what kind of battery drain can I expect, should it be a lot worse on a hackintosh?

Meter doesn't drop in 1% increments either - seems more like 3-4% but varies.

Typically I would say I am losing roughly 10% for under 10 mins use. Normal?

Fan also seems to be on a lot and I have cleaned it up and checked similar threads recommending hardware acceleration be turned off - which it is.

I have speedstep installed from EDP and am running on-demand as per default.

Any other pointers please? Thanks.

• Administrators

Well, 1st thing to check is what the BIOS says about your battery. It may indicate that your battery is nearing its life end and should be considered for replacement.

This being said, yes running Mac OS X does tends to drain the battery quicker than Windows.

Battery all good and healthy in bios. I do have a spare somewhere so will drop that in and see if there is any difference. Think I have taken care of everything that could effect it s/w wise.

Am I right to run 'on demand' btw or is 'conservative' recommended?

• Administrators

I use on-demand all the time, never conservative. I get about 1,5hr on an old 4 cell battery and 3,5/4hr on a much more recent 9 cell one.

By the way, where did you see threads recommending "hardware acceleration be turned off"? If this refers to graphics, it's pure non-sense and you sure would not use Mac OS X very long without it.

Maybe that's not far off would I would get from the in-built battery if I let it run a full cycle - maybe I expect too much. I just thought with the fan activity (pretty much continual unless laptop idle) that something must be caning it?

Your bios settings posted here are what I have used in my set-up. I don't think the recommendation here refers to graphics. You're right, I tried ML on my setup and anything remotely graphics hungry was pretty much impossible. Shame but I see the recommendation by most is to use Lion on the Intel based machines so will stick with that.