[[SOLVED] D820/M65] Transitioning to EDP from other /Extra tool without reinstall

rosmaniac

Ok, i have a Latitude D820/ Precision M65.

I say a 'D820/M65' because it is actually a M65 motherboard part number and GPU (has the FX350M silk-screened on the actual GPU chip; but has the NVS120M video BIOS of a D820 installed; with a 'hack' to install the M65 video BIOS it would be a 'FX350M' GPU... but there's not really any reason to do so...).

I've been using this OSX machine with nVidia graphics for over three years, now, on Snow Leopard 10.6.0 that I installed using the 'Leppy700m' boot CD found at

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/178411-guide-boot-cd-d-series-latitudew-nvidia-or-gma950-and-intel-dual-core-retail-installs/page__hl__%20leppy700m

and with CentOS 6 dual-booting (was Fedora 12, then 13, then 14, and finally C6, all with the same OSX install sitting there).

I'd like to transition this machine to using EDP, but without a reinstall from scratch.  Any thoughts?  Would it be as simple as installing MyHack, using the /Extra from the D820 nvidia bootpack in 'Use My Own' and overwriting the previous /Extra and Chameleon?  I really don't want to have to reinstall, but at the same time I know I need to update to 10.6.8 or beyond, and since I'm using EDP on my Inspiron 9400 (using the D620 Intel high-res bootpack and EDP; the EDP and bootpack listed for the 9400 doesn't work, but the D620 one does, but that's a separate thread).

I do have a SuperDuper! image backup of the root filesystem, so I can restore it if need be.

Update:

Well, after not seeing anything for a while, and after doing some more research, I took the plunge and simply installed EDP.  I did a build (current rev 537); then did the 10.6.8 combo update, did the build again, and only then did I reboot.  Upon reboot, got the black screen issue.  I can boot with the USB key I prepared earlier for the D820 nVidia, so that's good, just have to work out what's wrong to cause the blackscreen.

Specs: nVidia NVS 120M w/ 1920x1200 LCD, D820/M65 motherboard.

• Administrators

Black screen on boot completion usually means DSDT issue. Try to boot with display pushed to external screen and see if, on boot completion, display reverts to laptop LCD.

That was a classic on D630 HiRes with incorrect LoRes DSDT.

Herve (sorry to not have the accent; haven't had to type that before, and cut and paste want to make it a link);

Thanks much for the reply.

I attempted the fix at the post https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/2290-d820-nvidia-no-network-card-after-lion-install/page-2&do=findComment&comment=17395 but that didn't seem to work.

Booting the D820-nvidia-bootpacked installer USB key, selecting the installed OSX 10.6.8 instead of the installer, works fine.

I'm trying, next, what was suggested in https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/2102-d820-lion-black-screen-nvs110/&do=findComment&comment=15884

My D820/M65 has the NVS120m instead of the 110m that is more 'normal' for the D820.... and I unfortunately don't have an external monitor to try at home, but I will try again with the D820 EDP next week when I'm back at work.

What I would love, though, is a keyboard shortcut to do either a shutdown or graceful restart from the login screen; on a regular Mac this involves the 'eject' key with modifiers, but using the 'F12' key in its place doesn't produce the desired effect.... then even with a black screen it could be recovered more gracefully than holding the power button down for eight seconds and doing an fsck in single user mode on the next boot....

And again, thanks for the reply.  When I have opportunity I'll dig a little deeper; I've pulled a svnsync of the EDP repo and will slog through it as I can.  It seems to be just the ticket for these boxen, and I appreciate the work!

A further update: do note that if you do this migration to EDP from something else that your machine ID might be changed, and programs that you have activated on the machine may need reactivating.  UPDATE: And make sure you deactivate any software prior to doing the transition; some software authors (such as Celemony for their Melodyne product) can take a very hard line on this, and you lose an activation (yes, I remembered to deactivate a couple of programs before I did the migration, and so didn't lose any activations....).

Also, Time Machine will detect the box as being a new machine, and will complain when you try to do a backup, asking if you want to reuse the existing backup, create a new one, or don't back up now...... 

do this in order: boot to your installer to reinstall chameleon and just remove all the kexts and your extra directory (single user mode- use the -s boot flag to enter it) . MAKE SURE THAT THE INSTALLER DRIVE IS ALWAYS IN and copy the Extra directory (using cp command) into the Library folder of your computer. from there, run MyFix (still in single user mode- command is myfix -t ) and finally, reboot. 

I have seen this done before and it should work for you

MacMacMac,

I had already successfully made the transition, as mentioned in the update to the first post. 

I just made notice of the one gotcha that I found, which was the hardware change that triggered everything that I mentioned.

But the transition itself went fine.