e6430 with NVS5200/Intel HD 4000

gouki

Has anyone successfully gotten 10.8 installed and working on an e6430 with the optimus video (nvidia/intel)?  I can get it installed but I'm unable to find any sort of combination of drivers to be able to boot without turning on safe mode.  I know the EDP has the e6430 in there, but I dont think you can successfully install EDP while in safe mode.  Just curious if anyone else out there has had any success with this model latitude.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

My model specs:

i7 Quad CPU

Optimus video (nvs5200m/intel hd 4000)

16gb ram

Dell wireless

240gb ssd

• Moderators

Hi gouki,

I have an E6430 with nvidia 5200m/Intel HD 4000, I got most things working except sleep. EMlyDinEsH did a great job creating the DSDT and SSDT file to get shutdown/restart to work and also patch AppleHDA for audio.
Please consider doing a little PayPal donation to Dinesh (at [email protected]) as he worked hard on making it work for this.

Make sure you have AHCI enable in the BIOS and CPU XD Support in security is enable and Optimus disabled. So far I couldn't get both to install only the Nvidia card is detected.
Since you already got your system installed already.  I'm assuming your are building your computer with the myHack process. Just copy my Extra folder and replacing yours. Run myHack to update files and fix permission. But since you could only boot with Safemode, you'll have to run myfix from the terminal.
So open the terminal and run this command:
myfix -t /Volumes//
Select Yes and reboot when finish. That's it, it should boot up normally with everything working. 
I'm not sure what processor you have. I have an i7 3720QM with resolution 1600x900. 
If you have something different, don't use my SSDT files, you'll need to generate your own for your processor. And for resolution, if different, you could change it in the boot.plist file. 

Good luck.

E6430P.zip

Has anyone successfully gotten 10.8 installed and working on an e6430 with the optimus video (nvidia/intel)?  I can get it installed but I'm unable to find any sort of combination of drivers to be able to boot without turning on safe mode.  I know the EDP has the e6430 in there, but I dont think you can successfully install EDP while in safe mode.  Just curious if anyone else out there has had any success with this model latitude.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

My model specs:

i7 Quad CPU

Optimus video (nvs5200m/intel hd 4000)

16gb ram

Dell wireless

240gb ssd

If you need any help then let me know, use the files sent by Jake Lo and we're going to add this model to our EDP soon then you can get get all the files from there anytime.

I tried a few more times tonight, but still no luck.  I'm not able to *install* after applying the replacement Extra folder to the myhack installer.  On boot to the flash drive i get a few EBios read error's and it just sits there.  If I go with a plain myhack installer, I can at least get osx installed but back to where I can only boot into safe mode.

What I tried was installing using a plain myhack installer, then applying the new Extra folder and running the myfix from the terminal as suggested.  Everything looks to run ok and prompts to reboot.  Not much changed in that I cannot boot without the flash drive and I can still only boot into safe mode.

I have the same cpu, i7 3720QM, but my screen resolution is only 1366x768.  I updated the chameleon boot plist in the extra folder with the proper resolution but it didnt make any difference.

I'll keep hacking away to see if I can get some sort of combination working.  Thanks again for the help.

• Moderators

Hi gouki,

To bypass the EBios read error, boot with the -v switch. Seems like I only get this error with ivy-bridge system, not sand-bridge. With that switch you should be able to build your system successfully.

If you already build the system and have my Extra folder installed, to boot successfully without booting in SafeMode, make sure to install Chameleon. 

I believe the latest version is Chameleon-2.2svn-r2189.

Check out my guide here for the E6430 with HD4000 graphics only. Should be the same process.