"Installation failed" error message

DraKuL71

I'm encountering an issue with OS X ML that is really annoying. Many apps I attempt to install end up with an Installation Failed message. These are legitimate installation failed, not the ones where it states there were errors and failed when in reality the install was successful.

The most recent one I'm dealing with now is installing a Cisco VPN client. The machine I'm dealing with is a Latitude E6430. The same VPN client installed and worked fine on my E6520. I have encountered this "Installation failed" issue before but I can't remember how I got around it and fixed it. This was happening on 10.8.2 and I did a fresh build of 10.8 and I am getting the error on a clean OS. Has anyone experienced this type of problem? I wish I could remember how I resolved it last time.

Since I have gotten around this issue before, it means to me that there is a resolution. I will keep at it until I find out what change(s) corrects the issue. Should I be lucky and stumble upon the solution again, I will share it with the community.

Those are all good. I believe the issue has to do with kext dependencies missing or not in place. The install logs for failed apps attempt prelinking and error out with code 5 and code 107 and then the install fails. I am currently working on resolving these dependencies and we'll see if it improves the situation.

NSUnderlyingError=0x7fff420f9ca0 "The operation couldn’t be completed. (kextcache error 71.)"}
Apr 23 11:54:01 localhost Installer[428]: Install failed: The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.
Apr 23 11:54:02 localhost Installer[428]: IFDInstallController 4241E070 state = 7
Apr 23 11:54:02 localhost Installer[428]: Displaying 'Install Failed' UI.
Apr 23 11:54:02 localhost Installer[428]: 'Install Failed' UI displayed message:'The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.'.
Apr 23 11:54:18 localhost installd[437]: installd: Exiting.

So these are the kextcache errors I am trying to clear  :mellow:

Fixed!

I was not aware until now that some apps actually expect kexts and their dependencies to be fully functional as they appear to execute prelink commands towards the end of the install.

I basically kept running "sudo kextcache -update-volume /" until all issues were resolved. Once that terminal prompt returned with no data after executing the command, I knew it was going to work. And it did.  :)