D820/NVidia can't even boot USB

arghargh

I think I have isolated what happens when myHack tries to create the Lion installer...makes no sense why the USB drive would just go off line right?

post-10479-0-58461200-1366918766_thumb.png

I get the errors above and as far a I can tell it bombed before it could do (what the myHack docs imply) here:

After all files have been transferred it will automatically install Chameleon, myHack utilities, a Generic Extra, and make all necessary modifications to the installer.

I can run all the other options of myHack (and that is what I tried in the past) but I still can't get it to boot.

• Administrators

Then you my have a dodgy USB key...

I'd also recommend you run the latest possible BIOS for your model and check that the BIOS settings follow the recommended ones (look at D620/D830 BIOS settings if necessary).

Figured it was a wonky USB flash drive.  But I tried another and it failed in the same place.   Granted they are both 8GB AData USB flash drives, but even tried running this on two different Macs (10.7.5 and 10.5.X), and still get the error.  Can anyone verify this actually works and should run through without error on other 8GB flash drives?  I would hate to run out and buy another just to see the same error again.

During install issues now...

2. If baby sit the install and keep the screen active the install finishes, but when I try and boot off the disk I just get a blank screen and a flashing cursor.

I'm running SL 10.6.8 on my D820/M65 'mutt' here 'upgraded' from an original 'leppy700m' SL bootCD (with almost zero postinstall work) to the current EDP setup, and I had a very similar symptom using the D820 nVidia bootpack and the D820 nVidia EDP.  Everything works with the D620 nVidia bootpack and EDP.  I haven't had the time to track down the differences between the D620 nVidia bootpack/EDP and the D820 nVidia bootpack/EDP to be able to say for certain, but it's probably a DSDT issue. [EDIT: looks more like an smbios.plist and/or org.chameleon.Boot.plist issue.... see https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/2493-d820-nvidia-and-d620-nvidia-differences-in-edp/ for that thread....]

Can you try with an external monitor connected?

EDIT:

Thought of something else; which USB port are you using?  I've had the best reliability with the bottom right-hand-side port for USB keys and drives; the top port works, but seems to provide less power (possibly my hardware).  The back ports haven't been as reliable as the bottom right-hand ports, but I don't use the back ports very often since I have a full D/Dock (with PCI slot), and I've found that the USB ports on the D/Dock are the least reliable for large transfers.  But that's another post (and a question....).