myhack> extra folder> correct procedure

dziwei

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think changing hard drives has really affected boot, the machine boots in under 1:30 consistently now!  However, benchmarks are still slower than my D630 for 3d graphics.  

Before I installed EDP I ran a benchmark and came up with 67fps for 3d, using same benchmark app my D630 gets over 90fps. then I installed EDP for D830 and the framerate dropped an additional 10fps.  interestingly it also dropped from 50mil to 38mil on CPU floating point operations (could that be what is making the framerate go down 10 points?)  as you may recall these machines have the same amount/type of RAM and the D830 has a faster CPU 2.4ghz vs. 2.0ghz. and twice the GPU RAM (nvidia 140M with 256mb). 

I will now try your idea of using D630 bootpack (the default drivers? for video seem to be the same) and will let you know...

ttyl~!

re-ran EDP and built using D630 configuration. brought the benchmarks back a few points but not all the way back to Default Extra benchmarks.  I think starting with Default and only adding in kexts that retain or improve benchmarks OR that enable essential services is the next thing I'll try...

recommendations for kexts from the D830 (or D630) bootpack I will want to try?

thanks

• Administrators

i did some testing with Hervé today. Can you use an smbios for a MacBookPro 5,1 on either your d630 or d830 if they are nvidia models? It improved our graphics acceleration on the d630 nvidia. We were able to even remove the the emulated pstate kext and use native power management.

No luck changing to the smbios for a MacBookPro 5,1, benchmarks went down a little more.

If I want to start over is it as simple as going back to the default Extra folder ? or do I have to reset the smbios in Chameleon Wizard?  Perhaps the cleanest method would be to re-install from the beginning? I have added only one kext for hardware (wifi) and EDP thus far.

tnx

• Administrators

i do not trust those bench mark apps... if it's truly for a definitive answer how is it you run it as many times as you want and you get a different score each time? i think there just to have a rough idea. why the variances. go by your gut feeling does it feel any better then before. also for the MBP5,1 smbios to give you the most if you have an Nvidia model you have to remove 3 kexts from e/e, Voodoopstate/nullcpu, and sleepenabler... make sure P and  C states are enabled for generation in your org.chameleon.Boot.plist

• Administrators

I totally agree with Mario, don't put too much trust into those benchmarking soft. To me, they're merely a CPU indicator, nothing more. I once showed a forum user how a these tools can produce daft results: https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/2088-cant-restartshutdown-lion-or-mountain-lion/page-2?hl=t7100

CPU cache size seems to be an important contributor to these tools for some reason.

Yeah, just odd, NovaBench on WinXP has these machines equal but on the OS X side the D830 is 30% behind...  It is nice that the slow boot has worked itself out.  I was more worried about a failing graphics adapter than any performance issue, I will test this setup with a 3d game and see how it fares.

If I want to add back in important kexts from D830 bootpack which ones should I start with?