myhack> extra folder> correct procedure

dziwei

Right now I am running on a generic bootpack/extras, it is not the D830 bootpack.  it is giving the most consistent performance (particularly in half life 2)  so i thought I would add in just the kexts that i need to make things function; sleep mode, performance monitor (those bars you told me about in the top menu)  what others would you recommend?  is there an inventory list for the D830 bootpack that I can refer to?  thanks a lot.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

Of course you need /Extra! myHack takes its PlugIns from there. If you remove kexts from extra, they'll be totally removed from myHack's PlugIns folder after a myfix and will no longer be available at all.

myHack takes kexts from /Extra/extensions, bumps up version to 1111 and copies then to the PlugIns folder of /S/L/E/myHack.kext. This is how they can get loaded at boot time. If the kexts were only on /E/E, they would not be loaded. That clever mechanism allows to use a kext of a same name as a Vanilla kext in /S/L/E but supersede it through version bumping: OS X always uses kexts with the highest version if in presence of multiple kexts of the same name. This basically allows to leave /S/L/E completely unmodified and totally Vanilla, so users control things a lot more without risks of overwriting a vanilla kext if it's ever required to roll back.

many thanks for this detailed explanation.

another question:

using 'sudo kextcache --system-prelinked-kernel -arch x86_64' in terminal gives an error message

is IntelCPUMonitor needed for HWMonitor?

IntelCPUMonitor.kext - no dependency found for org.netkas.FakeSMC.
IntelCPUMonitor.kext is missing dependencies (including anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)

Prelink failed for org.mozodojo.IntelCPUMonitor; aborting prelink.

Failed to generate prelinked kernel.

Can't create kext cache under / - owner not root.

• Administrators

It depends on the version of FakeSMC. It's not required with recent Kozlek's version since 5.x.yyy as the FakeSMC kext uses a specific CPUSensor PlugIn that renders IntelCPUMonitor obsolete. It can also clash with FakeSMC. It's best to use a recent FakeSMC kext and get rid of that old IntelCPUMonitor kext.