Installing ML on Dell E6530

jd_guthrie

I received a message back from EMlyDinEsH.  He was under the impression that I could disable the Nvidia graphics in the bios and he built the DSDTs to use HD4000 Graphics.  I wish their was a way I could do that!.  He quickly got me a properly edited DSDT and the initial boot to install finally went well.  I was able to get to the install screen and I installed OSX.  Unfortunately I still get the "cannot find root device" error.  I don't understand how I can install the OS but not be able to boot.  I just have to get a new drive and test it.

Like I mentioned before, I have 3 SSDTs(SSDT, SSDT-1 & SSDT-2).  EMlyDinEsH told me to use all 3.  However, upon boot, and this happens very quickly so this may not be exact what it says, but I get a "cannot find table SSDT-3!"  Is that expected?

try the boot flag ahcidisk=1 debug=8 -v or the npci=0x2000 or npci=0x3000

I really do appreciate the prompt and helpful feedback.  I do already have npci=0x3000 in the string of the "Kernel Flag" key.  I've never heard of ahcidisk=1 or debug=8.  I'll try that.  Thanks.

try the boot flag ahcidisk=1 debug=8 -v or the npci=0x2000 or npci=0x3000

Okay.  Neither of those worked.  However, I have since been able to install OSX on an external HDD attached to USB 3.0.  This boots as it should.  I'm pretty convinced it's the 2.5" hdd. 

I don't think my speedstep is working properly.  While I don't have proper sensor monitor kext installed (how can I do that?  Which work best and do they go inside the FakeSMC.kext?) I know the cpu is running full throttle because the fan is running full throttle.  I have GenerateCStates=yes & GeneratePStates=yes.  Is there a sure fire way to test and see if speedstep is working?

• Moderators

Okay.  Neither of those worked.  However, I have since been able to install OSX on an external HDD attached to USB 3.0.  This boots as it should.  I'm pretty convinced it's the 2.5" hdd. 

I don't think my speedstep is working properly.  While I don't have proper sensor monitor kext installed (how can I do that?  Which work best and do they go inside the FakeSMC.kext?) I know the cpu is running full throttle because the fan is running full throttle.  I have GenerateCStates=yes & GeneratePStates=yes.  Is there a sure fire way to test and see if speedstep is working?

Take a look at this article by Hervé.http://www.osxlatitude.com/tuning-performance-with-fakesmc-smbios-plist/

The version of fakesmc contains several monitor apps.

Take a look at this article by Hervé.http://www.osxlatitude.com/tuning-performance-with-fakesmc-smbios-plist/

The version of fakesmc contains several monitor apps.

He doesn't show you how to edit the FakeSMC.kext to fit one's personal system.  From what I gleaned from looking at his example mine should be the same thing.  I'm have a "MacBookPro9,2" which has a SMC Version of 1.30f3.

Edit:  I'm having graphic problems using this FakeSMC.  Out of nowhere the screen goes white or blue (more often white).  It only happens when using HW Monitor.  

I was able to run geek bench (32-bit) and my score improved to the 6500 range.  I still feel that's low for this laptop though.  My last hack had a first gen i3-560 (dual core), 4 gigs of ram and a very low end graphics card.  I was getting around 8000 with that.  This has a ivy bridge i5 (dual core with hyper threading) 8 gigs of ram and an NVS 5200.  What gives?  

Also, when I could get it to run using HW Monitor I could see my multiplier was x12 and it jumped to x27 running geek bench but that's all I could see.

I noticed that shutdown doesn't work properly as well.  If I choose shutdown it acts as a restart.

• Administrators

It would please me that you read the article properly!

1. it clearly explains how to edit the FakeSMC plist
  2. it clearly explains what to do to determine the Mac model/SMBIOS/SMC that best matches your own Hack
  3. illustrations are provided

How much more could one need???  <_>

And, where did you get that SMC 1.30f3 corresponds to the MPB9,2 ?

It would please me that you read the article properly!

1. it clearly explains how to edit the FakeSMC plist
  2. it clearly explains what to do to determine the Mac model/SMBIOS/SMC that best matches your own Hack
  3. illustrations are provided

How much more could one need???  <_<

And, where did you get that SMC 1.30f3 corresponds to the MPB9,2 ?

My apologies.  What I meant was that once you find the SMC Version it doesn't say how to go about converting that to the "targeted value".  Example: 1.30f3 converts to 01300F00 0003.  If someone has a different SMC Version than the example provides the guide doesn't specify HOW to convert that.  As for where I got my information that SMC 1..30f3=MBP9,2, see attached picture.  I created my SMBios with Chameleon Wizard.

post-10605-0-49518100-1370793209_thumb.png

• Administrators

I'm really sorry, I thought the article mentioned the default SMC value and how/where to get different SMC values clearly enough...

Looking at the SMC values mentioned in the article, I also thought the correspondance was obvious enough:

[...]
By default, FakeSMC is using SMC version 1.30f3 which is displayed in Data field as 01300F00 0003.

[...]

Mario and I tried the SMC version listed for the 15″ MacBookPro5,1 -> 1.33f8 (SMC 1.2). This translated to 6bytes Data 01330F00 0008.

[...]

NB: most of this derives from Prasys’ own work.

[...]

6bytes, eh?

01 | 30 | 0F | 00 | 00 | 03 -> 1.30 f 3

01 | 33 | 0F | 00 | 00 | 08 -> 1.33 f 8

Now try and establish what could it be for 1.68f98 or 1.69f4 (hint hint).

Remember: no matter what SMBIOS profile you choose or make, if you do not modify the default SMC value of FakeSMC.kext (which, I repeat, is 1.30f3), well that's what you'll always see in your System Profile...

I'm really sorry, I thought the article mentioned the default SMC value and how/where to get different SMC values clearly enough...

Looking at the SMC values mentioned in the article, I also thought the correspondance was obvious enough:
6bytes, eh?
01 | 30 | 0F | 00 | 00 | 03 -> 1.30 f 3
01 | 33 | 0F | 00 | 00 | 08 -> 1.33 f 8

Now try and establish what could it be for 1.68f98 or 1.69f4 (hint hint).

Remember: no matter what SMBIOS profile you choose or make, if you do not modify the default SMC value of FakeSMC.kext (which, I repeat, is 1.30f3), well that's what you'll always see in your System Profile...

"Remember: no matter what SMBIOS profile you choose or make, if you do not modify the default SMC value of FakeSMC.kext (which, I repeat, is 1.30f3), well that's what you'll always see in your System Profile..."

I didn't realize that. I have since reread the entire article and figured out a part I missed. If I'm not mistake, a Macbook Pro 9,2 has SMC of 2.3f35 which converts to 02 | 30 | 0F | 00 | 00 | 35.  Actually, 2.3f35 is directly across from Macbook Pro Retina which has a model identifier as 10,1.  There's nothing in the SMC column for 9,2 Macbook Pro. 

I'm still having issues though with HW Monitor or any sensor monitoring program like iStat Menus. Everytime I go to run one of those programs everything freezes up and I have to do a force shutdown.