Installing ML on Dell E6530

jd_guthrie

• Administrators

No, SMC 2.3f35 translates to 02030F00 0035.

Correct, the Apple link does not list and specific SMC value for the MBP9,2; as such, you're gonna have to experiment with other SMC values and corresponding SMBIOS plist. Just make sure both match, i.e. SMC & SMBIOS plist that match the same Mac model. In your particular case, look for Ivy Bridge models: MBP9.1, MBP9.2, MPBRet10.1 or MBA5.2

Thank you everyone (Jake Lo, Herve, EMlyDinEsH, Bronxteck) for all the help thus far.  I'm currently waiting on my DW1510 from ebay and I'll have wireless up and running.  EmlyDinEsH has been INCREDIBLY helpful in patching my DSDT and SSDTs and with a few other things.  I'm getting 5 pstates.  EmlyDinEsH said using MBP8,2 the max is 6.  So with 5 I'm doing pretty well.  Jake Lo, I seen in another post that you couldn't figure out why you can't boot without using -v with an Ivy Bridge processor.  I'm not sure if that was still the case but I'm able to boot without -v. 

I have a few things that are still bugging me.  One of which is sort of weird.  I cannot use ANY sensor monitoring app (hw monitor tool, istat, etc).  I tried to use these to see temps and pstates and after a few seconds my screen would go white or blue and I have to force shutdown. :huh:  I followed the guide here.   

The other issue is trackpad.  I have basic mouse functions w/ touch click support.  It would be nice to have 2 finger vertical/horizontal scrolling.  Is there some other kext that support this for these touchpads?  EmlyDinEsH point me here .  Has anyone tried this yet?

The last issue....::drumroll::  SLEEP.  Damn near an impossibility, I know. :( .  I guess I don't understand why it's so difficult.  I had a hackintosh desktop and a discrete graphics card and sleep worked beautifully.  Why is it so much harder on a hacklap? (I coin this)

I also don't see any recommendations for using UEFI over BIOS.  Is there an advantage or disadvantage?

• Administrators

yeah i would test that trackpad it has support for the newer versions of alps trackpad. did you try the hibernation fix to see if it helps? in terminal type

sudo pmset hibernatemode 0

three is what osx defaults with if you want to change it back.....

sudo pmset hibernatemode 3

yeah i would test that trackpad it has support for the newer versions of alps trackpad. did you try the hibernation fix to see if it helps? in terminal type

sudo pmset hibernatemode 0

three is what osx defaults with if you want to change it back.....

sudo pmset hibernatemode 3

If you're referring to this post than yes I have tried it.  Although I believe it was when I didn't have a properly edited DSDT.  I'll try it again.  However, I remember not being able to locate "Use secure virtual memory".

Any idea what's causing my screen to "white out" every time I try to run a sensor monitoring app?

i think it's filevault now.  as to the other issue it could be the fakesmc plugins try using a newer fakesmc and it's new plugins.

If I go into System Report and click on "Software" it says it's enabled.  I'll test this again later.

I tried a new version of FakeSMC and it worked but now my geekbench score dropped <_< .  It was hovering around 8k and has now dropped to 7200.  Yes, I edited the FakeSMC to match by SMBios.  I'll look more into it when I get home.

Any benefit from using UEFI over Legacy?  I have the option to change this in the BIOS

EDIT:

I received my DW1510 card today.  I want to follow this guide to rebrand it.  However, it has me a little confused.  At the bottom it says this:

There.. you are done.. boot into OSX and check out your wireless now…

Card compatibility list:

Model Number Original Product ID / Vendor ID Patch to… Result

BCM4311, revision 01  Product: 0×1364 / Vendor: 0x103C  Vendor: 0x106B / Product: 0×0087  Ok  

BCM4311, revision 02  Product: 0×1375 / Vendor: 0x103C  Vendor: 0x106B / Product: 0×0087  Ok  

BCM4312, revision 01  Product: 0×0007 / Vendor: 0×1028  Vendor: 0x106B / Product: 0x004E  Ok  

BCM4321, revision 03  Product: 0×1028 / Vendor: 0×0226  Vendor: 0x106B / Product: 0x008C  Ok

BCM4321 802.11a/b/g/n (rev 03)  Product: 0x000A / Vendor: 0×1028  Vendor: 0x106B / Product: 0x008B  Ok  

BCM4322 802.11a/b/g/n (rev 01)  Product: 0×1380 / Vendor: 0x103C  Vendor: 0x106B / Product: 0×0093  Ok

However, no where in the commands is there a place to put Product ID & Vendor ID.  This would be brand new territory for me so can someone enlighten me?

• Moderators

EDIT:

I received my DW1510 card today.  I want to follow this guide to rebrand it.  However, it has me a little confused.  At the bottom it says this:

There.. you are done.. boot into OSX and check out your wireless now…

Card compatibility list:

Model Number Original Product ID / Vendor ID Patch to… Result

BCM4311, revision 01  Product: 0×1364 / Vendor: 0x103C  Vendor: 0x106B / Product: 0×0087  Ok  

BCM4311, revision 02  Product: 0×1375 / Vendor: 0x103C  Vendor: 0x106B / Product: 0×0087  Ok  

BCM4312, revision 01  Product: 0×0007 / Vendor: 0×1028  Vendor: 0x106B / Product: 0x004E  Ok  

BCM4321, revision 03  Product: 0×1028 / Vendor: 0×0226  Vendor: 0x106B / Product: 0x008C  Ok

BCM4321 802.11a/b/g/n (rev 03)  Product: 0x000A / Vendor: 0×1028  Vendor: 0x106B / Product: 0x008B  Ok  

BCM4322 802.11a/b/g/n (rev 01)  Product: 0×1380 / Vendor: 0x103C  Vendor: 0x106B / Product: 0×0093  Ok

However, no where in the commands is there a place to put Product ID & Vendor ID.  This would be brand new territory for me so can someone enlighten me?

From # 3 of the guide, use this:

SSB_SPROM=$(find /sys/devices -name ssb_sprom)
 echo $SSB_SPROM
 cd ~
 sudo cat $SSB_SPROM > ssb_sprom_copy
 ssb-sprom -i ssb_sprom_copy -P
 ssb-sprom -i ssb_sprom_copy --subv 0x106b --subp 0x0093 -o new_ssb_sprom_copy
 ssb-sprom -i new_ssb_sprom_copy -P
 echo $SSB_SPROM
 sudo cp new_ssb_sprom_copy $SSB_SPROM

Note: after echo $SSB_SPROM, if your card is not listed, you won't be able to continue. Let me know if encounter that, but it shouldn't since I have that same card without an issue.

I take back what I said in post #66.  The new version of FakeSMC I used did the same thing the second time I tried.  The screen went white.  I changed back to my original FakeSMC but my geekbench score is still low.

Also, sleep didn't work.  Screen goes black but fans stay on.  

Wireless works but it's labeled as 3rd party.  Have to rebrand it.

When I shutdown or restart sometimes, the screen goes white and a dialog box pops up saying CrashReporter prevented it from shutting down.  I click okay because I've lost mouse and keyboard functions at this point.  It eventually just shutsdown or restarts like it's supposed to do.