Installing ML on Dell E6530

jd_guthrie

From # 3 of the guide, use this:

SSB_SPROM=$(find /sys/devices -name ssb_sprom)
 echo $SSB_SPROM
 cd ~
 sudo cat $SSB_SPROM > ssb_sprom_copy
 ssb-sprom -i ssb_sprom_copy -P
 ssb-sprom -i ssb_sprom_copy --subv 0x106b --subp 0x0093 -o new_ssb_sprom_copy
 ssb-sprom -i new_ssb_sprom_copy -P
 echo $SSB_SPROM 
 sudo cp new_ssb_sprom_copy $SSB_SPROM

Note: after echo $SSB_SPROM, if your card is not listed, you won't be able to continue. Let me know if encounter that, but it shouldn't since I have that same card without an issue.

I cant boot this unbent live usb drive.  using unetbootin (btw there's no 10.10 live version so I selected 12.10 live) i get an error on boot saying that no operating system exist.  This is the first time i do this.

• Moderators

I cant boot this unbent live usb drive.  using unetbootin (btw there's no 10.10 live version so I selected 12.10 live) i get an error on boot saying that no operating system exist.  This is the first time i do this.

Just build a USB using your method and didn't have an issue. Personally I use grub4dos for multi-booting. Did you use the option Try Ubuntu without Install?

Thanks for the tips.  I may start with a new usb drive.  I've actually tried the methods ya'll mentioned except for using grub4dos.  I'll start fresh.

I've been following this trackpad thread.  With the latest driver the keyboard works but the touchpad is almost nonfunctional.  I have to press hard to move the cursor and it actually works slightly better using two fingers.  And it doesn't seem like multigestures work.  I've posted my log file over there on June 28th and no one has posted anything back.  I guess I'll just wait.

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and new to hickintosh. Sincerely I appreciate all the help you can give me.

My computer is a:
  Dell Latitude E6530
  BIOS A09
  Intel ® Core i7-3720QM [email protected]
  Mobile Intel ® QM77 Express Chipset
  8GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1600Mhz - 2 DIMMS
  nVidia NVS 5200M / Intel ® HD Graphics 4000
  FHD (1920x1080)
  Network: Intel ® 82579LM Gigabit / Intel ® Centrino ® Advanced-N 6250 AGN

Could you please guide me through the steps to achieve have OS X ML on this machine?, I am totally inexperienced in this.
Additionally my English is not quite good.

From already thank you very much for your help.

• Moderators

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and new to hickintosh. Sincerely I appreciate all the help you can give me.

My computer is a:
  Dell Latitude E6530
  BIOS A09
  Intel ® Core ™ i7-3720QM [email protected]
  Mobile Intel ® QM77 Express Chipset
  8GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1600Mhz - 2 DIMMS
  nVidia NVS 5200M / Intel ® HD Graphics 4000
  FHD (1920x1080)
  Network: Intel ® 82579LM Gigabit / Intel ® Centrino ® Advanced-N 6250 AGN

Could you please guide me through the steps to achieve have OS X ML on this machine?, I am totally inexperienced in this.
Additionally my English is not quite good.

From already thank you very much for your help.

Welcome SSierra,

There are several threads here pertaining to getting this model to work. You will have to replace your wireless card as Intel wifi are unsupported.

You can follow this thread with full instruction including bootpack. Even though it said it's for model E6430 with NVS5200m, it'll work perfectly for yours too. Just change the resolution to match yours in boot.plist.

If the instruction is too vague, then you should read about the myHack process thoroughly (link included in the 1st thread).

Enjoy.

• Moderators

How did you format it?

This is done from Windows

Follow thread to format and create a menu.lst file

http://www.themudcrab.com/acronis_grub4dos.php

Add this to menu.lst using notepad

title Ubuntu 13.04 i386
find --set-root /ubuntu-13.04-desktop-i386.iso
map /ubuntu-13.04-desktop-i386.iso (0xff) || map --mem /ubuntu-13.04-desktop-i386.iso (0xff)
map --hook
root (0xff)
kernel /casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper iso-scan/filename=/ubuntu-13.04-desktop-i386.iso splash quiet --
initrd /casper/initrd.lz

Make sure you include the Ubuntu iso file in the root, make sure the iso name and the text above matches ie. ubuntu-13.10-desktop-i386.iso