D830 ML ram upgrade = no boot

dziwei

I upgraded my working D830 ML setup's ram from 2gb to 4gb now I get slow OSXLatitude page followed by a 'verbose boot' (lots of white text scrolling by) which ends in blackscreen.

what to try?

thanks!

• Administrators

Having done RAM upgrades on several existing/running SL/L/ML installations, I can tell that they've always gone straight through, just as they would with Windows. Maybe your new modules are faulty, badly seated or of the wrong type. What did you put in? A RAM upgrade is normally completely transparent and without side effects.

Does your D830 show the full 4GB in the BIOS Ok?

Yeah, that is what I was expecting...  I got some decent sticks (Crucial PC2 DDR2 CL5) so maybe I should check them on the Windows side next, Dell diagnostics passed them without error.  

Also: after rerunning EDP the restart was super slow again...  it doesn't seem to like to restart, shut down and power on is more reliable. it often goes to black screen or grey screen when I try Restart.   I think I may need a few more tweaks to get it to boot straight thru,

Actually haven't had much time to research the correct tweaks I could try in Chameleon Wizard but several reboots later it is running pretty normal again and boot takes a reasonable 1:40...  tnx again