New TouchPad driver for E6520 / ALPS

bpedman

I tied v5 on my dell n5110 with an ALPS and it partially works. Touchpad works, prefpane loads, but no multitouch whatsoever.

Before this, I was using a driver made by florin9doi which worked with multitouch but was too sensitive and the pointer kept jerking on the screen by merely touching the trackpad, even without moving my finger.

He gave up on the driver but released sources. It'll probably be of some help getting older APLS working. 

https://mega.co.nz/#!XYhDmajQ!DsgiLw9SdVTa1RpeGag8sD61DGp6S_UwkwLY7BF6D3M

Good Luck and hope to hear some good news soon :)

I have a Latitude E6530.  When using your latest driver i have keyboard and mouse click buttons but touchpad functions may as well be nonexistent.  I have to press extremely hard to get the mouse to move.  If I use two fingers it moves better but still highly inaccurate.  Touch click or any other "multi gesture" does not work. Attached is my log file.  Thanks.

trackpad logs.log.zip

Hi,

I've installed v5 of the ALPS kext on my E6330.

It works almost perfectly! I have multi touch working(2 finger scrolling).

The only thing I cannot seem to get to work is the synaptics pref pane to save its settings.

On every boot I need to go into the pref pane and move the sliders to assign values to each setting.

I think I've installed it correctly(including the daemon) but I'm not 100% sure.

I first installed the debug version which also worked and had the same issue with not saving the pref pane settings.

Unfortunately the console didn't show what model of ALPS trackpad I have even though it works.

Any help getting this fixed would be appreciated.

Thanks

It works almost perfectly! I have multi touch working(2 finger scrolling).

The only thing I cannot seem to get to work is the synaptics pref pane to save its settings.

On every boot I need to go into the pref pane and move the sliders to assign values to each setting.

Just an added note, I haven't tried the newer versions at all... Think I am on V2 or V3 on my e5430 bit I have the same issues here. Does not save my preferences and I need to reset then upon each boot.

OK, sorry for the hiatus. I have 2 jobs right now and my family to take care of and finding time is difficult for this, sorry.

I made another change that I hope will help bjornw and miguelme777 (and maybe others?). There was a potential error occurring in the way I handled the command mode when it was sending special little byte sequences to the touchpad. I hope to have fixed that with this and I hope that it fixes the issues for you guys. This will only affect people with a v3/v4 protocol version touchpad, which is more of the newer ones within the last couple years I believe.

If you are curious about the gritty details, basically I was confused about how the linux driver processes sending and receiving extra data after the primary command is sent to the mouse. I was always confused because some of the mouse commands in the linux driver used 2 bytes while the constants in ReHabMan's driver were only 1. Well that extra byte in the linux version gave information about the amount of data to send and receive after the initial command was sent. I made the translation for the nibble commands that are used in command mode for this driver. There may be other areas in the driver affected by this now too that I may need to visit, but the errors from bjornw and miguelme777 were in this area.

The new driver is on the OP, v6. I kept v5 around in case v6 doesn't work right. I have not tested it out to confirm if it works.

Interesting...just realized several people have mentioned this now. I haven't touched any of the pref pane code from ReHabMan's version, I can try and poke around and see what I can find though.

I have a Latitude E6530.  When using your latest driver i have keyboard and mouse click buttons but touchpad functions may as well be nonexistent.  I have to press extremely hard to get the mouse to move.  If I use two fingers it moves better but still highly inaccurate.  Touch click or any other "multi gesture" does not work. Attached is my log file.  Thanks.

Weird. What did you do when you captured the attached log? Just a 1 finger swipe down or up?

What is strange here is the z value reported only goes as high as 25, this is the amount of pressure sensed by the touchpad. By default the driver is setup so that it ignores anything below 45, this is why you are having to press extremely hard to get it to move. If you are able to you may want to use the pref pane and change the sensitivity. I haven't tried myself but it sounds like others have had to make some adjustments in the pref pane to get it working OK.

If you can search the log for "Found ALPS Device with ID" and paste that line it would be helpful. If the ID is different from others I can put something in to automatically reduce the ignored z value for that model.