New TouchPad driver for E6520 / ALPS

bpedman

Please try with this and share the log.

Thanks !

OK, tested the new kext and looking at the log, the new device IDs are recognized but the cursor does not move.  So tracking is totally dead :(

I simply left TrackPad.prefPane from the original v7 in place and the PrefPane does sense that a TouchPad exists.  In other words, when I click on System Preferences->Trackpad, a configurable panel pops up rather than an empty one.

This is on an Inspiron 3520 running 10.8.5.

Here's my log ...

system.log.zip

Hi yeahoon. Thanks very much for working on this!

I appear to be having the same problems as bisk. After installing your kext, I lost mouse tracking. Looking in the system log, it does appear that the device is recognized properly. I too also have a configurable trackpad in the Prefpane, whereas before it simply said "Trackpad not detected".

I am running ML 10.8.5 on a Dell Inspiron 13z.

Thanks again to both you and npjohnson for your hard work!

I've attached by system.log

system.log.zip

This version re-enabled the left/right mouse, but new issue. Left clicking opens folder and file, right clicking runs twice. So I guess the speed for both changed? Single click is like double clicking, and single right click launches twice.

Touchpad is now having issue scrolling. If I tried using 2 fingers scrolling, the cursor disappear. After awhile, cursor returns but loses scrolling  all together.

Here is version 2.

Changes

- Independent button click processing. Now we can use any combination (Trackstick Button + Touchpad movement / Touchpad Button + Trackstick movement)

Please try this and share the result.

Debug_2.zip

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, I just can't seem to get this installed and working, the kexts are not where I expect them to be (mavericks)

Could anyone give me a new, step by step walkthrough? if I could get multitouch scroll on my e6230, after replacing the wifi, it's thisclose to being everything I want!!!

• Moderators

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, I just can't seem to get this installed and working, the kexts are not where I expect them to be (mavericks)

Could anyone give me a new, step by step walkthrough? if I could get multitouch scroll on my e6230, after replacing the wifi, it's thisclose to being everything I want!!!

E6230 doesn't have the trackstick, so you could try the debug_2 version above. Place VoodooPS2Controller.kext in E/E and run myfix (quick). I don't think you need the rest of the files for it to work. I'll confirm tomorrow.

• Moderators

Here is version 2.

Changes

- Independent button click processing. Now we can use any combination (Trackstick Button + Touchpad movement / Touchpad Button + Trackstick movement)

Please try this and share the result.

yeahoon,

You are da man. This is awesome. Finally trackstick scrolling, click and drag, all working. Tested on E6420 right now. Will have to test on E6530 tomorrow as I left it at work. There's only 1 minor thing I ask is if you could make the trackstick move a little faster. Other than that, this is perfect. 

By the way, can this be use on 32 bit? 

Wonder if it'll work on the D series as well...

Update: Tested on E6420 with ML. Result is almost as good. Only difference is scrolling is slow for both trackstick and touchpad.

Tested on E6430 Mavericks, result is the same as on E6420 Mavericks with the trackstick, but touchpad is less responsive. Probably need to adjust the z value. 

yeahoon,

You are da man. This is awesome. Finally trackstick scrolling, click and drag, all working. Tested on E6420 right now. Will have to test on E6530 tomorrow as I left it at work. There's only 1 minor thing I ask is if you could make the trackstick move a little faster. Other than that, this is perfect. 

By the way, can this be use on 32 bit? 

Wonder if it'll work on the D series as well...

Update: Tested on E6420 with ML. Result is almost as good. Only difference is scrolling is slow for both trackstick and touchpad.

Tested on E6430 Mavericks, result is the same as on E6420 Mavericks with the trackstick, but touchpad is less responsive. Probably need to adjust the z value. 

Here it is. (Debug & Release Build)

- Some Optimizations

- Just Doubled Trackstick movement speed.

For 32bit build, I'll find some way from Rehabman GitHub page.

Thank you.

Debug_ALPS_131206.zip

Release_ALPS_131206.zip

Thanks !

OK, tested the new kext and looking at the log, the new device IDs are recognized but the cursor does not move.  So tracking is totally dead :(

I simply left TrackPad.prefPane from the original v7 in place and the PrefPane does sense that a TouchPad exists.  In other words, when I click on System Preferences->Trackpad, a configurable panel pops up rather than an empty one.

This is on an Inspiron 3520 running 10.8.5.

Here's my log ...

attachicon.gifsystem.log.zip

Hi yeahoon. Thanks very much for working on this!

I appear to be having the same problems as bisk. After installing your kext, I lost mouse tracking. Looking in the system log, it does appear that the device is recognized properly. I too also have a configurable trackpad in the Prefpane, whereas before it simply said "Trackpad not detected".

I am running ML 10.8.5 on a Dell Inspiron 13z.

Thanks again to both you and npjohnson for your hard work!

I've attached by system.log

Your device is processed as ALPSv5 in the RehabmanMerge code.

The implementation of ALPSv5 seems to be same with ALPSv6 from http://www.emmestech.com/linux/downloads/alps.c

So I added device ID to be processed like ALPSv5. Device was initialized(or not), but you couldn't use it.

In this situation, the reason may be..

1. Implementation of ALPSv5 is not completed - Any ALPSv5 device can't be run.

2. Hardware-specific Issue - Some ALPSv5 device works, but your device can't.

Anyway, I need deeper understanding of hardware to solve this. I hope we could find some way.

Your device is processed as ALPSv5 in the RehabmanMerge code.

The implementation of ALPSv5 seems to be same with ALPSv6 from http://www.emmestech.com/linux/downloads/alps.c

So I added device ID to be processed like ALPSv5. Device was initialized(or not), but you couldn't use it.

In this situation, the reason may be..

1. Implementation of ALPSv5 is not completed - Any ALPSv5 device can't be run.

2. Hardware-specific Issue - Some ALPSv5 device works, but your device can't.

Anyway, I need deeper understanding of hardware to solve this. I hope we could find some way.

Thank you so much for trying.  This what I feared.  I dared to hope that the simple inclusion of the new IDs in this Alps kext would be sufficient because the existing Windows 7 driver from December, 2012 continues to work with this new trackpad on the Windows side. 

Once again, the v7 of this kext was working beautifully with the original trackpad delivered on my Inspiron 3520 last summer but then the buttons failed and Dell replaced the trackpad under warranty just a couple of weeks ago. 

So this is the latest Alps trackpad that Dell is using these days and it is likely to be popping up quite a bit from here on out.  Hopefully, you will have the opportunity to work with on ... nothing much that you can do till then.

Thanks again for the attempt.  I am glad to see success with the E6420 as that is about to become my next build ;)

I'm monitoring this topic and stand ready to test again any time :)  Take care and have a great holiday.

• Moderators

Here it is. (Debug & Release Build)

- Some Optimizations

- Just Doubled Trackstick movement speed.

For 32bit build, I'll find some way from Rehabman GitHub page.

Thank you.

Thank you for the edit and fast turnaround. Works great now on Mavericks.

Tested on E6420, E6220, and E6520. All working but noticed that side scrolling on touchpad is reverse.

Tested on E6230 - kernel panic. Revert back to debug2, works but need to set Z value higher 

Tested on E6530 - kernel panic. Revert back to debug2, same as E6230

Tested on E6430 - kernel panic. Revert back to debug2, works but need to set Z value higher 

E6220 with id E7=0x73 0x02 0x64, EC=0x88 0x07 0x9d

E6420 with id E7=0x73 0x02 0x64, EC=0x88 0x07 0x9d

E6520 with id E7=0x73 0x02 0x64, EC=0x88 0x07 0x9d

E6230 with id E7=0x73 0x03 0x0a, EC=0x88 0x08 0x1d

E6430 with id E7=0x73 0x03 0x0a, EC=0x88 0x08 0x1d

E6530 with id E7=0x73 0x03 0x0a, EC=0x88 0x08 0x1d