New TouchPad driver for E6520 / ALPS

bpedman

Of course, Rehabman does not merge our code yet, so there is no help. The only thing that confuses me right now is there is nothing change with the keyboard code, yet you cannot get your keyboard identified correctly, and the plist file has already cooperated the newest change... Post your IORegistryExplorer, please.

Actually, I fixed it. The keyboard including all FN keys is identified and working perfectly now :) :)

Turns out Clover changed the system identifier (in DSDT) from "Dell" to "Apple" so the kext did not load the correct profile. 

I fixed it by patching the DSDT.

I had a look at the code, and have a suggestion. Could you please increase the z_finger value to 30.

Ok, then please try this.

Thanks for your finding :)

Much better now :)

May I suggest the following test: (hopefully make pointer even more steady)

increasing z_finger to 40

changing z = z_finger + 1; to z = z_finger; (line 377)

changing x = y = 0; to x = y = z = 0; (line 502)

Sorry I don't have xcode right now to test. Could you provide a kext with those changes?

Thanks in advance sontrg :)

Hmm, I can increase the z_finger for you, but the two changes you point out over there is almost irrelevant. The first line belong to v1 and v2 trackpad, while the second change only affects trackstick on selected v3 model. Because you have a v5 (sharing the same logic with v3), but do not have a trackstick, those changes is pretty much pointless. Please wait for a while I recompile for a new value z. In fact I don't understand much about 'stability' as you require, can you describe it more precisely? Like, when you are not moving your finger but the cursor move itself? The movement of the cursor is jitter? Or what else?

Hmm, I can increase the z_finger for you, but the two changes you point out over there is almost irrelevant. The first line belong to v1 and v2 trackpad, while the second change only affects trackstick on selected v3 model. Because you have a v5 (sharing the same logic with v3), but do not have a trackstick, those changes is pretty much pointless. Please wait for a while I recompile for a new value z. In fact I don't understand much about 'stability' as you require, can you describe it more precisely? Like, when you are not moving your finger but the cursor move itself? The movement of the cursor is jitter? Or what else?

Cursor moves by itself (if finger is touching but not moving) and jumps when finger is lifted.

Increasing z_finger fixes the first issue but still jumps when finger is lifted.

There's a fix in the Linux driver for this issue (line 695)

http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/drivers/input/mouse/alps.c

PS. I'll test tomorrow because I don't have the laptop now!

I see, but then again, the change you have pointed only affect a v6 trackpad, again yours is v5.

Ok, now I make a quick fix, try and report, ignore the kext on the previous post, please.

I tried it and it's the same.

I just wanna say that overall the touchpad is working very well, thanks to you. The jumping issue is just a very minor annoyance than I can live with  :)

Ha, don't worry. It is just because I have ran out of guess. Just install the debug version, and cut part from the log file where that jump happens (remember the time, use your trackpad sparingly, like one swipe every 10 sec and use USB keyboard), and maybe I can find a solution then. The more instances of bug you can generate that way, the easier I can fix it.

I'll do more testing later because it working very well for now.... Thanks :)

Could you please send your fixes and updates to rehabman to integrate them with his branch.

That way more people would have access to them.

PS. Are you sure I'm using a v5. People at insanelymac say the n5110 comes with either a v3 or a v6!!