Snow Leopard on a Sun Ultra 20

CharlieFoxtrot

I attached 2 files.  These are xml outputs from the profiler window.  You can rename them to .spx is needed.  They represent both booted configurations. 

One other thing that is different, or what appears to be different is that the CD booted version is in 64 bit mode, where the cameleon booted version is in 32bit.  I modified the .plist file to see if I could kick into 64 bit but it just hangs.

In some of my research it appears that the problem may be with the .kext files.  I suspect that I am missing the correct ones. 

Thanks.. :D

Mac CD boot.txt

iMac.txt.txt

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is getting frustrating.  I downloaded the nforce kext, unzipped it, moved it to the /System/Libraries/Extensions directory, changed the permissions to match the other kexts, rebooted  and still no ethernet.  Is this the correct process?  What are the other options to try at this point? ;)

@Bronxtech, I did as you suggested.  I edited the org....plist file and took <string>arch=i386</string>  to <string></string> and rebooted,

It got to the gray apple window and froze again.  Not sure if that was exactly what you suggested but it was my best guess.

• Administrators

Try and use Chameleon Wizard to edit your boot plist, it's much much easier.

In addition to repairing file permissions for that new kext you placed in /S/L/E, you also need to rebuild the kext cache. Using Terminal, try and type: sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions. In theory, that triggers cache regeneration. An alternative is to boot in safe mode using -x boot flag. Safe mode normally empties the cache which gets regenerated at next regular boot. 

There are also specific commands to handle cache; you'll get details by issuing the Terminal command: man kextcache. This is not the recommended way though...

Since you've built your system with Nawcom's BootCD and not myHack, you can use a little tool called Kext Wizard to handle all this (kext installation and cache generation). MyHack includes its own tool called myFix (which should always be used with a myHack installation). I would also recommend that you 1st try and install new kexts in /Extra/Extensions rather than /S/L/E. This helps to keep /S/L/E vanilla and keep specific separate and in a place where you can experience with things. Only place new kexts in /S/L/E if you encounter trouble loading them from /E/E (assuming they're correct kexts of course).

If you want to ignore kext caches, you can try to boot with -f flag or option UseKernelCache=No. This would slow the boot process a little, but all kexts will be looked at and your new nforce kext should load.

I copied the nforce kext into the /Extra/Extensions directory and that was all the ethernet needed to start working.  I'm still baffled over the 64 bit issue and the audio not working. 

All the advise is helpful.  I come from a UNIX/Linux background and this MacOSx stuff is very new.  I'm very comfortable on the command line so I will go there out of familarity. 

Thanks again for all the help. :D

• Administrators

boot with -v option and tell us where it stops.

Also, I just looked at some Ultra 20 documentation I found (http://www.atc.uniovi.es/inf_superior/4atc/PARALELAS/maquinas/arch-wp.pdf). It says AC'97 for audio. That limits you to 32bit kernel mode as there are no 64bit kexts for that audio type as far as I'm concerned, only 32bit kexts. I tried so-called AC'97 64bit kexts on my Precision 670 but they would not work...

AppleAC97Audio.kext.zip AppleAC97Audio64b.kext.zip

Oh and if you ever update to 10.6.8, use the following kernel afterwards (simply refer to it in your boot plist):

Darwin_10.8.0.zip