E6530 I7-3720QM

rewcho

Hi,

I've received your files but I need some details.  Does both models have Nvidia GPU and HD4000? Do you have options to disable Nvidia GPU in bios for any of these two models?

And resolution of laptop screen?

EDIT: I've received your details and sent patched files to your mail. Let us know your progress after trying those.

If possible, please send me patched DSDT SSDT files of OSX 10.8 mountain lion for DELL Latitude E6530 with "Intel® Core i7-3720QM CPU @ 2.60GHz" which has "NVIDIA NVS 5200M" and "Intel® HD4000" GPUs. I unchecked Optimus in BIOS version A12. And now Windows 7 Device Manager does not show Intel HD4000 GPU any more.

I will buy DW1510b to replace "Intel® Centrino® Wireless Bluetooth® + High Speed Devices".

Thank you very much.

post-12870-0-04574900-1374467237_thumb.jpg

post-12870-0-40163500-1383080067_thumb.png

Hi Jake,

I just noticed that both ML and Mavericks only use half of 8 CPUs in Latitude E6530.

Please see attached Mac system info picture which says only 1 processor and total 4 Cores, compared with the Windows picture which has total 8 CPUs.

Please kindly advice how to fix this.

Thank you and much appreciated.

David

• Administrators

That's just because you have a quad core CPU with 2 threads per core, i.e. 8 logical cores.

http://ark.intel.com/products/64891/Intel-Core-i7-3720QM-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_60-GHz

You may have to change to one of Kozlek's FakeSMC kexts and update to the proper SMC id to get your 8 logical cores recognised. Right now, it looks like you're running default FakeSMC v4.0 with default SMC id 1.30f3.

• Moderators

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2013-10-29 at 4.46.04 PM.png

Hi Jake,

I just noticed that both ML and Mavericks only use half of 8 CPUs in Latitude E6530.

Please see attached Mac system info picture which says only 1 processor and total 4 Cores, compared with the Windows picture which has total 8 CPUs.

Please kindly advice how to fix this.

Thank you and much appreciated.

David

"Ivy Bridge" 2.6 GHz Intel "Core i7" processor (3720QM), with four independent processor "cores" on a single silicon chip, a 6 MB shared level 3 cache

If you launch Activity Monitor, under CPU tab, below you'll see 'CPU LOAD'. Double click it, you'll see all 8 cpu.

Thank you both Jake and Herve for your excellent knowledge and very quick reply.

Yes, I see all 8 cpu in the Activity Monitor now. Thanks.

However, I can see that cpu 1, 3, 5, 7 are much busy while cpu 2, 4, 6, 8 are less busy. Please see attached picture.

I guess that some applications are not able to see 8 cpu, but see 4 cpu. 

Please kindly advice where I can download Kozlek's FakeSMC kexts for i7-3720QM 2.6GHz processors.

Thank you and have a nice evening.

David

post-12870-0-80465600-1383102419_thumb.png

• Administrators

Only applications specifically designed to use multi-threading will use this logical core functionality. It's an application implementation/usage more than an OS one. As such, it's perfectly normal to see different load/usage per logical core. I encourage you to search the Net about that.

Re: FakeSMC, look at our article about performance tuning, it contains some of Kozlek's early and more recent FakeSMC kexts; You can also use Google of course, you'll quickly get the correct URL...