WARNING: 10.8.4 update -> proceed with CAUTION

Darvinko

Apple's latest update to Mountain Lion, 10.8.4, has been closed to Beta testers as of yesterday, 05/31/2013, suggesting a general release is imminent. Among the things being addressed in the update are Graphics drivers, a Safari update and preparation for WiFi protocol 802.11ac introduction. As usual, for those who rely on the community to make sure updating will not significantly impact your build, it is suggested that you either hold off on updating or create a separate partition to update while any changes are reviewed.

UPDATE: PLEASE READ BOTH BRONXTECK'S AND HERVE'S FINDINGS BELOW CONCERNING KERNEL CACHE ISSUES AND WIFI ISSUES RESULTING FROM THE UPDATE.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Administrators

seems like it just went live Darvinko.... if incase AppleACPIPlatform.kext gives issues you can try booting with the dart=0 flag i have not tested since my upgrade went smooth on my HP HDX16. have not tried the others.

seems like it just went live Darvinko.... if incase AppleACPIPlatform.kext gives issues you can try booting with the dart=0 flag i have not tested since my upgrade went smooth on my HP HDX16. have not tried the others.

As a follow up to Bronxteck's post, I updated my HP DC7800 CMT to 10.8.4 without incident or issue. I chose this one for a number of reasons - It is a very "Vanilla" system (these are usually less prone to update issues), I use it infrequently (if there was an issue, I had plenty of time to get to it) and it contains installs of Microsoft Office 2011, iLife '11 and iWork '09 (I wanted to see if there was any impact on the install with these or impact on the programs). I will try my others later and post the impact of the update on them as well as any necessary "fixes" (if any), including whether Bronxteck's is needed and works (if needed) on those machines.

• Administrators

i have 2 of those dc7800ssf's i have not booted em since ML GM lol. i do not use my desktops anymore either.. lol the hpElite 8000 hacks nicely maybe even better then the dc7800. did one for a friend.

i have 2 of those dc7800ssf's i have not booted em since ML GM lol. i do not use my desktops anymore either.. lol the hpElite 8000 hacks nicely maybe even better then the dc7800. did one for a friend.

A local reseller had three of them (all speced as in my signature - of course without OSx) that I was able to get at $30@, so I grabbed them. If you'd like to try, I'll send my DSDT. Sleep DOES NOT work, may with additional DSDT editing..

I updated my Latitude E6500, using update from App Store, with included iPhoto and iTunes updates. After download and restart to install, at the end of Install, I was greeted with Your Updates Were Unable To Be Installed - An Unexpected Error Occured. This proved to be false, as I rebooted into a working 10.8.4 system. Reran Software update to be certain and No Updates Are Available. Also, I always repair permissions after an update. I would assume (yes I know what assume does) that it is safe to run the update if using the Mountain Lion Anyone install. I'll wait to hear from others with the different install methods to be sure (although, they should work in a similar fashion)

• Administrators

it failed install because it broke your kernelcache. it probably reinstalled the AppleACPIPlatform.kext version 1.7 back into SLE and messed up your cache generation if your using AppleACPIPlatform.kext version 1.3.5 in EE.

• Administrators

Updated my D630 nVidia 135M successfully using Combo Update 10.8.4.

D630n_10.8.4.jpg

On 1st reboot, I had no keyboard and noticed the CPU reported as a 1.2GHz C2D only. All was Ok after subsequent 2nd reboot. The update installs AppleACPIPlatform kext v1.7 in S/L/E. Like Bronxteck, I strongly recommend to delete that kext to only retain EDP's v1.3.5 in /E/E to avoid cache issues and rebuild permissions & caches with myFix.

Nothing else to report. Looks pretty safe to update.

EDIT: Oups! 'just realised I had updated my FakeSMC kext to v5.1.67 and made a mistake when modifying the SMC keys. That would explain the strange CPU speed report I was getting on occasion!