• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Administrators

!!! WARNING !!!

10.8.4 seems to break network connection for some Wireless setups. Several users have now reported problems with Broadcom-based cards. Bronxteck confirmed this and indicated that 10.8.4 can break connectivity to secured network. However, open or low-secured networks (WEP) retain ability to connect.

I'll try and test things with DW1390 and DW1395 cards tonight.

Atheros-based cards listed as "Airport Extreme" (i.e. as fitted to real-Macs) appear unaffected by the above issue.

As such, update with caution and be ready to change to WEP or Open-encryption with MAC @-filtering...

• Administrators

Ok, did some quick tests:

• AR5B91 - AR9281 chip - works OOB -> Ok with AES wifi encryption (& clear wifi of course)
  • DW1390 - BCM4311 chip - works OOB -> Ok with AES wifi encryption (& clear wifi of course)
  • DW1490 - BCM4311 chip - works OOB -> Ok with AES wifi encryption (& clear wifi of course)
  • DW1395 - BCM4312 chip - works with patched kext -> NOk with AES wifi encryption ("connection timed out" error message), only Ok with Clear wifi (basic WEP encryption not tested due to unavailability on my wifi gateway)

I therefore confirm what Bronxteck said: 10.8.4 no longer seems to support higher wifi encryption for Broadcom cards that require a patched kext.

To add to the list that Herve and Bronxteck have compiled, my E-series 6500 contains a DW1510 which was OK with AES WiFi encryption. A caveat is that mine has been rebranded, which may or may not have an impact. I will try later and post the results when I switch it out with a stock DW1510 and do additional testing for both with basic WEP encryption.

What or how is your DW1510 rebranded as?

As per Prasys' work, the Dell DW1510 has been rebranded as AppleAirport (as opposed to the normal Third Party Wireless). As per his thoughts, rebranding:

• Makes it more vanilla (since everyone is talking about going retail and want to be as close to a real mac as possible)
  • Immunity against system upgrades (yes its true if you use a generic card however knowing how Apple works. They could simply blacklist non-Apple Broadcom cards so that they would not work at all). Its just possible
  • Increases your confidence level so you’ve finally managed to do something that is related to low-level hardware stuff
  • increases resale value of the card (in case if you want to sell it back. Suppose if you bought it for $10 , now you can sell it for $20 or so and you can say that its 100% genuine apple card instead of third party wireless)
  • - See more at: http://prasys.info/2009/12/rebranding-broadcom-802-11abgn-cards-as-airport/#sthash.Wpdxrly5.dpuf

​I personally, have not noticed a profound difference in performance since doing so, but based on Prasys' thoughts above, I wanted to include that caveat. I have tried the stock (un-rebranded) DW1510 (Broadcom  BCM94322HM8L) and had no issues with WiFi on my E6500 with WPA2, WPA, WEP or unsecure networks.

I'm not sure if it is a security bug/limitation issue or if it is just collateral damage from initial steps in implementing the new WiFi protocol, but yes, it would seem to have by-passed those that work OOB.