D830 10.8 + Updates

piterakos

I have a D830 nvidia 140m model running ML.

Started from 10.8 and moved up to 10.8.3 with combo update.

Yesterday i noticed a 10.8.4 update from apple and tried it by downloading through the app store.

MAJOR MISTAKE because it screwed up everything from wifi (bcm4315) to keyboard.

nomatter what i tried i couldn't make my wifi work as intended and noticed a major keyboard lag. (sometimes i had to press the keys twice in order to work).

So i went back to the good old 10.8.3.

Has anyone else succesfully tried 10.8.4 to their d830?

• Administrators

I would suggest you redo an EDP system build after your update to 10.8.4. With the reintroduction of AppleACPIPlatorm v1.7 in /S/L/E folder, you're likely to experience kext cache issues. The EDP system rebuild should take care of this.

If not, try to manually remove the offending kext from /S/L/E and re-run myFix (full).

I have the same laptop (D830 + Nvidia 140M). I updated to 10.8.4 and everything works just the same like it did on 10.8.3!

The way I updated was through the App Store. Once it was finished, the installer said it failed, but when I rebooted I was in 10.8.4 and every hardware works without any issues (wireless, keyboard, trackpad, sleep/shutdown, graphics, etc.). ACPIPlatform was put back into S/L/E so restart and shutdown had issues, so I had to remove it and ran myFix (full). After that, nothing else wrong to report. :)

@ktazn2k

which wireless card are you using?

mine showed up just fine but whenever i tried to connect to a network i got a stupid message saying "a connection has timed out".

Tried reinstalling my wifi kexts but still got the same message.

@Herve

If i do a system built i will have to remove extra voodoo kexts and redo the fakesmc+smbios tuning. right?

• Administrators

Yes, I guess you would.

Pre-release 10.8.4 versions were known to break wifi but I don't have the details. We need to look into that. I was fortunate enough to purchase and install an Atheros 9281-based 802.11n Apple Mac card  in my D630n just a couple of weeks ago and that works OOB, regardless of the version. Consequently, I retained full wifi services after updating to 10.8.4.

anyway i installed 10.8.3 from scratch but did not go the edp way this time.

Instead i used my tweaked fakesmc+smbios and installed my own extra folder using myhack.

Everything worked upon first boot as intended except that i can't see any details concerning battery in system information.

I only get a "There was an error while gathering this information." In desktop i can see the battery + the percentage of its fullness.

Anyone knows why? when using edp i see the details but this time i thought i would go my way.

since we re talking about updates, i updated from a t7300 cpu to a t9300.

The difference is not only noticeable, its HUUUUUGE.

So far everything is working flawlessly but i was wondering whether i need to re-adjust anything.

One thing that troubles me is the fact that i see sudden spikes concerning the temperature of the cpu.

it idles at about 53-55 C but i notice sudden instant increases in the temp of +10 C and immediate drop at idle temp.

Is that a problem? should i be concerned?

• Administrators

That's perfectly normal. T9300's Tjmax is 105°C, so you're well within the expected operating T°. My own T9300 runs at similar temperatures. I myself upgraded from a T7500 and you're right: the performance improvement is quite noticeable.