D620 Port Replicator

JBC2005

Hey all!

I have a small problem. Installed Snow Leopard 10.6.3 on my D620 with GMA950 video chipset. Install went beautifully, and successfully updated to 10.6.6 to get access to the Mac AppStore. Now, my problem: when I boot the laptop with the lid closed (I have a 20" monitor hooked up to the VGA out on the port replicator), I'm greeted with a blue screen. However, booting with the lid open, it boots normally, and I can extend the desktop across the laptop LCD and the external monitor, or install SwitchResX and activate the external as the primary display. Any ideas as to what the problem is?

P.S. : I did install The EDP tool package as the Leppy GMA950 driver would not correctly identify the video card.

Thanks

Hey all!

I have a small problem. Installed Snow Leopard 10.6.3 on my D620 with GMA950 video chipset. Install went beautifully, and successfully updated to 10.6.6 to get access to the Mac AppStore. Now, my problem: when I boot the laptop with the lid closed (I have a 20" monitor hooked up to the VGA out on the port replicator), I'm greeted with a blue screen. However, booting with the lid open, it boots normally, and I can extend the desktop across the laptop LCD and the external monitor, or install SwitchResX and activate the external as the primary display. Any ideas as to what the problem is?

P.S. : I did install The EDP tool package as the Leppy GMA950 driver would not correctly identify the video card.

Thanks

Hi there,

I also have a D620 on what I call the docking station. I think what you might be seeing is the second desktop on the external display. I am seeing the same thing that you are seeing when I tested this out. I don't use it in this way so I never have experienced the issue until now. My setup is either only the built-in display or the external as a second screen.

If it were me, just use both - more screens are better :) But if that doesn't work for you, try both the VGA and DVI outs on the docking station. I am using the VGA.

Hi there,

I also have a D620 on what I call the docking station. I think what you might be seeing is the second desktop on the external display. I am seeing the same thing that you are seeing when I tested this out. I don't use it in this way so I never have experienced the issue until now. My setup is either only the built-in display or the external as a second screen.

If it were me, just use both - more screens are better :) But if that doesn't work for you, try both the VGA and DVI outs on the docking station. I am using the VGA.

Thanks for the advice. However, I use this type of setup because of limited desktop space. I have the laptop tucked into a cubby that doesn't allow the lid to be opened all the way. it's just a pain in the a** having the lid opened a tiny bit to allow it to boot with proper video.

As for the VGA or DVI option; I get a black screen when booting with the monitor connected to the port's DVI. For whatever reason, I can only use the VGA output.

Thanks for the advice. However, I use this type of setup because of limited desktop space. I have the laptop tucked into a cubby that doesn't allow the lid to be opened all the way. it's just a pain in the a** having the lid opened a tiny bit to allow it to boot with proper video.

As for the VGA or DVI option; I get a black screen when booting with the monitor connected to the port's DVI. For whatever reason, I can only use the VGA output.

I have the setup beside me here on my desk and just tested the DVI connection - same result. I can only imagine that this is a limitation of the video driver. Perhaps Apple has left this out because they don't use the features at all.

Anyone else have any ideas?

just be carful of selecting mirror mode it will corrupt your secondary video output

Yeah, I already knew about the "mirror mode corruption". After I first installed 10.6.3, I tried the mirror mode, got the display corruption, and thought I had blown up my laptop! It was kinda freaky!