E6430 - Mavericks 10.9 DP1 - Successfully installed!

James Vreeken

I was able to successfully install OsX 10.9 DP1 on my Dell Latitude E6430 today.
I had a spare hard drive lying around, and thought, "why not?"
post-4953-0-26848600-1371507140_thumb.jpg
If you have the same hardware as me here is how I got it working:

DELL LATITUDE | E6430

Processor 2.89 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics nVidia NVS 5200M 1024 MB / HD4000

WiFi replaced with a rebranded Dell DW1510 from eBay

Step 1:   Download the Mavericks OsX 10.9 DP1 .dmg and mount it
Step 2:   Download the latest myHack
Step 3:   Run myHack and install onto at least an 8gb flash drive, then replace the Extras folder with mine
Step 4:   Reboot, Hold F12 choose to boot from USB (I had the usb plugged into the left side port, if it matters...)
Step 5:   Boot the installer with flags -x -v
Step 6:   Format the drive you are installing it onto as GUID and name it "Macintosh HD"
Step 7:   Install, at the end it will ask if you want to remove "xxx" kext, say ok for the 3 .kexts
Step 7:   Choose to use the Extras folder on the USB drive that you copied in step 3
Step 8:   At the end, just click continue and then click the apple at the top right of the screen and choose restart
Step 9:   Hold F12 Again and choose to boot from USB.
Step 10: Boot from the myHack installer again, but this time only boot with -v
Step 11: Once you are back at the installer choose utilities --> myHack and run myFix on the partition you installed on.
Step 12: Once that finishes, go back into utilities --> myHack and this time install chameleon on the same partition.
Step 13: Reboot once more (you should be able to remove the USB key now and set your bios to boot from HDD)

That should be it...
mav1.png

This is just how I got it working... there are most likely better ways of doing it...

Hope it helps someone!

So far everything is working just as good as it was in 10.8.4  no glitches that I have found yet.

EDIT ---> Updated to DP2 and replaced the USB3 kext with this one that Jake suggested 

Boot with -f or add it to your org.chameleon.Boot.plist file for best results

• Moderators

James,

I also have Mavericks on my E6430, except mine has HD4000 only. I noticed that the battery status doesn't show up and looking at your screenshot, it's not appearing on yours either. 

Tried different DSDT floating around for the E6430 with or with nvs5200m. I noticed if I use yours, I get audio but no battery. When I used another, I get battery, but no audio. Weird!

So I decided to drop the patched AppleHDA and use VoodooHDA instead along with the DSDT that gives me battery status.

Just wondering if you have looked into this as well.

:excl: Update: Running on DP8 now, so far no issue.

Screen Shot 2013-06-16 at 2.35.13 AM.png

Jake

I hadn't even noticed!  Since full sleep doesn't work yet on mine, its always plugged in.

but now that you mention it, I am looking into why the battery isn't showing up.

The DSDT I am using has been patched so that I can be connected to the Dell dock and have 1 DVI out from the dock.

Can you post the DSDT you are using?  I might try what you are doing, dropping the patched appleHDA and replacing with VoodooHDA

I did notice that the version of the AppleSmartBatteryManager I was using before (on the right) was a little out of date... I tried replacing it but still didn't get battery.  I am almost positive that it is my DSDT.

AppleBattery.png

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/92-applesmartbatterymanager/

Could you please upload all DSDT versions you have? Please do it like this way:

DSDT 1 - Audio with AppleHDA, no battery

DSDT 2 - Audio with VoodooHDA, battery works

DSDT 3 - Port Replicator works, no audio and battery

For example.

I wish I had a DSDT for my E6520 that allowed Battery and Audio to work.........

I know its a bit off topic but Im also thinking about trying to install Maverick on my 6520.  Just might have to put a "spare" drive in and give it a go........

There back on topic!  :)

• Moderators

I wish I had a DSDT for my E6520 that allowed Battery and Audio to work.........

I know its a bit off topic but Im also thinking about trying to install Maverick on my 6520.  Just might have to put a "spare" drive in and give it a go........

There back on topic!  :)

This from DraKuL71 should work. Of course you'll need the proper kext for both devices too. Try this bootpack from Igashu, worked for my very first hackingtosh since joining OSXL and add AppleSmartBatteryManager.kext for the battery status.

• Moderators

Could you please upload all DSDT versions you have? Please do it like this way:

DSDT 1 - Audio with AppleHDA, no battery

DSDT 2 - Audio with VoodooHDA, battery works

DSDT 3 - Port Replicator works, no audio and battery

For example.

Seems if I just use the -f switch, both battery and sound status appears.

• Administrators

Hi, would it be possible to get more details about that DW1510 rebranding? What needs to be done and how? What is the card reported as before and after rebranding? Preferably in a dedicated thread in R&D -> Network section.

it seems it may not be fully supported without such rebranding: https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1617-mountain-lion-anyone/page-20

Hi, would it be possible to get more details about that DW1510 rebranding? What needs to be done and how? What is the card reported as before and after rebranding? Preferably in a dedicated thread in R&D -> Network section.

it seems it may not be fully supported without such rebranding: https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1617-mountain-lion-anyone/page-20

Here are a couple of pages I followed to get mine working:

http://prasys.info/2009/12/rebranding-broadcom-802-11abgn-cards-as-airport/ 

The original how to here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/121293-rebranding-broadcom-based-80211bgn-cards/?p=863983&do=findComment&comment=863983

and:

http://legacy.tonycrapx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=28484 for my specific card the DW1510

Jake Lo might be able to give more info and maybe a tutorial on how to for the DW1510.