Alienware M17X-R2 [No speedstep]

TreyM

For the life of me, I cannot get speedstep fully working on my system. Turbo doesn't work at all as far as I can tell.

ML 10.8.4
i7 740QM (1.73 Ghz)
8Gb DDR3 667
AMD HD5870M
Using MBP 6,1 SMBIOS

After generating my SSDT with ssdtPRGen, and another attempt using MaciASL, with the correct values of 45W TDP, 2390 Turbo, this is what Chameleon shows me on bootup:

Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,2)/Extra/SSDT.aml] 713 bytes.
ACPI table not found: SSDT-1.aml
FADT: changing PM_Profile from 0x00 to 0x02
FADT: ACPI Restart Fix applied!
Found ACPI CPU: CPU0
Found ACPI CPU: CPU1
Found ACPI CPU: CPU2
Found ACPI CPU: CPU3
Found ACPI CPU: CPU4
Found ACPI CPU: CPU5
Found ACPI CPU: CPU6
Found ACPI CPU: CPU7
P-States: min 0x7, max 0x9
SSDT with CPU P-States generated successfully
RSDT: Added 2 SSDT table(s)
Added 2 SSDT table(s) into XSDT

I'm only getting 2 P-States here, with the highest one being my CPU's base frequency, 1.73 GHz.

When I attempt to see what P-States have been reached with AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementInfo.kext, using:

cat /var/log/system.log | grep "AICPUPMI:"

I get this output:

Jun 21 12:32:10 localhost kernel[0]: AICPUPMI: CPU P-States [ ]

Attempting to use MSRDumper gives me this output:

/Users/trey/Desktop/MSRDumper.kext failed to load - (ipc/mig) server died; check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8).

I am baffled. I am going to upload my files and see if anyone can spot something I've missed.

Included in zip:
dsdt.aml
ssdt.aml
org.chameleon.Boot.plist
smbios.plist

m17x-r2-speedstep.zip

you see only with MacBookPro8,x smbios  you can get more Pstates so try those smbios plist files which will give 6 PStates with some turbo speeds as well but i'm not sure about First Gen CPU and this is working for 2nd and 3rd gen CPU's.

EDIT: Also i've checked your boot.plist file which has some wrong flags. You need not to use GeneratePStates flag if you are using patched SSDT file and also you need to include DropSSDT flag.

Ok, well here is the attempt with DropSSDT=yes and removing GeneratePStates and CStates.

MBP 8,2 SMBIOS and fakesmc set to MBP 8,2 SMC version.

Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,2)/Extra/DSDT.aml] 47484 bytes.
Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,2)/Extra/SSDT.aml] 713 bytes.
ACPI table not found: SSDT-1.aml
FADT: changing PM_Profile from 0x00 to 0x02
FADT: Using custom DSDT!
RSDT: Added 1 SSDT table(s)
FADT: Using custom DSDT!
Added 1 SSDT table(s) into XSDT

Only 1 insertion now... this is really odd...

Did you get more PStates with the MacBookPro8,x? Plz check with HWmonitor App for CPU multipliers along with CPUSensors and ACPIsensors kexts installed.

Only one insertion becoz you have used one SSDT file patched with Pstates but you haven't used SSDT file for Cstates, so extract all SSDT files from Windows using AIDA64.

Its best for you if you extract all the SSDT files from Windows/Linux(follow my thread dsdt/ssdt patching to extract them) and patch them  but I doubt about First Gen CPU speedsteps like i said before so try and see.

I managed to get native speedstep working using MBP 6,2 and removing DropSSDT=yes and ssdt.aml, but I am unsure if turbo is working. As far as I can see, I'm getting 7 pstates x7 - x14. My CPU runs from 980MHz to 1.96GHz according to HWMonitor app. I have no way of checking to see if turbo ever kicks in, because the Intel Power Gadget for mac only works on Gen 2 and above. :(

MSRDumper and AppleIntelCpuPowerManagementInfo.kext don't work because they apparently don't support the Gen 1 CPUs.

Is there any other possible way to verify that turbo works or not?