E6220 - Mountain Lion Extreme slow boot speeds.

dgccr

Hey Guys,

Sorry to be a pain, Still trying to fine tune my machine and now everything application wise is running and running smooth.

2 things I cant figure out for the life of me still are :

Why does my machine take forever to boot? It literally takes 3 minutes to from bios to login screen.

When running Windows 7 it took 15 seconds and even my other D630 only takes 52 seconds to get 

to the login screen and its runnnig a standard hard drive & a way less beefier config.

D630 Config - Boots 10.7 in 52 seconds to login screen.

250GB WD Blue 2.5 drive

4GB Ram

2.4GHZ Core2Duo

E6220 - Boots 10.8 in 3 mins 5 seconds to login screen

120GB Mushkin Chronos SSD w/Trim ( one of the fastest SSD's )

8GB Ram

2.5GHZ Core i5

I found this post that maybe talking about my issue but maybe there is a better way.

http://www.tonycrapx86.com/mountain-lion-desktop-support/65106-mountain-lion-slow-boot-up-time-2.html

Attempted the steps in post one and now im booting 30 seconds if I click enter at the loader screen... If I dont
click enter that little bar will slowly disappear after a while and start on its own.

It appears I made some progress hoping its just some newbie stuff im missing and I didnt mess anything up.

Would love it to boot fast and the correct way ( if the work-around I did is not a good choice. ).

Thanks again guys,

DG

• Administrators

Mmm, a 3min boot is more likely the consequence of something wrong (incorrect boot settings, lack of kext cache) rather than a lack of SSD trim.

For instance, on my D630, keeping USBBusFix set to Yes on a previous Lion partition caused a good 1-2min wait after the Chameleon background screen appeared and before the gray Apple logo appeared with the spinning wheel. Add lack of kext cache to that and that could easily exceeds 3mins boot time!

Hey Guys,

I will look into all your suggestions and report back asap, As of now the only thing I tried diff was Delete AppleACPIPlatform.kext and install with the one from Lion. Use Kext Utility to repair permission and rebuld kernel cache before reboot.

Now I still have to hit enter at the loader twice or ill sit waiting for that bar to go down to nothing but if I double tap enter boots in 30 seconds flat.

Going to check into the stuff above and report back.

Thanks

• Administrators

If you deleted the ACPIPlatform kext from /S/L/E, you should use version 1.3.5 from EDP and place it in /E/E. You mention Kext Utility, does it mean you're not using myHack ?

Can you provide a screendump of your Chameleon boot plist opened in ChamWizard?

I am using Myhack, I just tried that as a test ( was desperate ) I can put the standard My hack file back in its place run my fix and reboot.

Here is a shot from Cham Wizard ( USB FIX ) was enabled I disabled.

cham_sets.jpg

Im booting in 30 seconds now.

Should I put back the original AppleACPIPlatform.kext then run Cham wizard and make sure kernal cache and usb fix are correct? I can put that file back to normal and troubleshoot from there. I would love to keep this vanilla as possible to the standards you guys follow to avoid future issues.

What I did ( again im new so it maybe wrong )

Removed the AppleACPIPlatform.kext file manually ( RENAMED ) Used a utility called Kext Drop and dropped in the other one, ran Myhack to run MyFix then rebooted and instantly I went from 3min to 30 seconds.. Now again this maybe a hack way I can return it to the original file and then begin with Chameleon Wizard which seems cleaner.

Mmm, a 3min boot is more likely the consequence of something wrong (incorrect boot settings, lack of kext cache) rather than a lack of SSD trim.

For instance, on my D630, keeping USBBusFix set to Yes on a previous Lion partition caused a good 1-2min wait after the Chameleon background screen appeared and before the gray Apple logo appeared with the spinning wheel. Add lack of kext cache to that and that could easily exceeds 3mins boot time!

Since reading your post I have done the following :

• Turned off -v Verbose ( dont need to see the text when not troubleshooting )
  • Slide Timeout to 0 quite boot ( only running osx for right now )
  • Made sure USB Bus Fix was off.

Computer is now booting from bios screen to login prompt in 19 seconds!! ( HOOORAY )

Couldn't of done it without your help, My only questions now would be should I put that AppleACPIPlatform.kext

file back to the original.

Thanks again!

• Administrators

Cham Wizard does nothing to kext cache. It simply allows you to update your bootloader or choose a specific version, adjust your boot plist parameters, select a given SMBIOS plist or select your Chameleon modules.

Kext cache is something totally different and tools like Kext Wizard and myHack can help to rebuild it. If you use myHack, then you should always use myFix to rebuild your cache. Why? Because the kexts you have in /E/E need to be reflected in the PlugIns of the myHack kext placed in /S/L/E. Naturally, that has a direct impact on kext cache if you do any modification to kexts.

Good to hear your down to a proper boot time now. As an order of comparison, my boot time on my D630 nVidia with ML went from 1min to 20seconds once I sorted out a kext cache issue! So it's very much worth to get kext cache in order.

I'd keep that original ACPIPlatform kext away as it's often found to slow down shutdowns and restarts, but no harm trying again with that kext back in /S/L/E. You'll soon find out if it makes a difference or not.

You could also probably check all those empty cases between C States and C4, especially the Drop SSDT if you have your own tables (like DSDT).

Cham Wizard does nothing to kext cache. It simply allows you to update your bootloader or choose a specific version, adjust your boot plist parameters, select a given SMBIOS plist or select your Chameleon modules.

Kext cache is something totally different and tools like Kext Wizard and myHack can help to rebuild it. If you use myHack, then you should always use myFix to rebuidl your cache. Why? Because of the kexts you may have in /E/E and that need to be reflected in the PlugIns of the myHack kext placed in /S/L/E. That has a direct impact on kext cache of you do any modification to kexts.

Good to hear your down to a proper boot time now. As an order of comparison, my boot time on my D630 nVidia with ML went from 1min to 20seconds once I sorted out a kext cache issue! So it's very much worth to get kext cache in order.

I'd keep that original ACPIPlatform kext away as it's often found to slow down shutdowns and restarts, but no harm trying again with that kext back in /S/L/E. You'll soon find out if it makes a difference or not.

You could also probably check all those empty cases between C States and C4, especially the Drop SSDT if you have your own tables (like DSDT).

Thanks for the info, I am very technical savvy and actually work for a software company so once I start learning the ins and outs of building Mac on non standard equipement it starts to make sense... So thanks a bunch!!!  So are you saying to enable all those settings like DROP SSDT / C2 / C3 state?

Im just running on a build from the docs on here using my hack, the bootpack and EDP.

Thanks,

BTW this thing is running so much better now, Instant off and boots in 20 seconds, working on volume issue now. It chirps the alerts when I put volume up or down but volume stays the same no matter where the slider is ( full blast ).