E6230 - Wifi not working? Help me and i will make a guide on the model.

Oleander2911

Hello, i have just installed ML on my computer, and then got the EDP after some errors the team had.
Well, if i then go under configs and choose my model, i show this icon list on whitch parts should be working after installing, and it seems like that when install only the EDP suggestions, only my keybord is working, so i have to first install the PS2 kext.
But that is not the point of this thread.

When i then look at the Wifi icon it looks green and seems like it should be working after i have installed the EDP, but if then go under the settings where you by yourself can define which kexts you wanna install, the WIFI box have none selected, and none of the kext i can choose from works when i install.

So is there someone who can please link to a working kext, or a way to get it working.

As a thanks and if it works.

I will make a FULL guide of installing ML 10.8 onto the E6230, because not all stuff works through the EDP, and it is a paint to try all these thinks only to get a kernel panic.

Best regards 
Chris Oleander

First off, which WiFi card do you have? It must be an Apple compatible one, Intel cards (often shipped with Dells) won't work. Also make sure the WiFi switch is on and WiFi is enabled in BIOS. Next, I assume you installed by the MyHack method. If so, when you have a compatible card, if it doesn't work out of the box, download and install your kext. After that run MyHack's utility called MyFix (if you installed using MyHack, a copy of MyHack was placed in your Applications folder). Click on MyHack, enter your password, use the dropdown menu to go to MyFix (it will probably open in MyFix after entering your password), click OK, Make sure you are running MyFix on / (this is your hard drive), click OK and choose Full when it pops up. This will rebuild permissions and kext caches. When that completes you will need to reboot your computer for the kext to install. Then your WiFi should work. If not, message back...  My understanding is it works OOB (if equipped with compatible card).

Thanks very much for your answer! It is a Intel card, and every think is enabled:)

I just thought that the EDP would install the kext automaticly if there was this green icon on your compitabelity list.

And im not sure, but as i can see of the specs list under the dell website my computer contains on of the following:

"Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205, Intel Centrino Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250,

Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300, Dell Wireless 1504 (802.11g/n 1×1), Dell Wireless 1540 (802.11n 2×2)

"

Thanks again

Purchase a new WiFi card (Dell DW1510 works well), remove the bottom, carefully disconnect the two antenna leads, remove screw, slide card out. Reverse procedure to install. White wire goes to connection with white triangle, Black to solid black triangle. Very easy, just be gentle popping the leads on (too much force will bend them, making for an unstable connection). EBay US has the cards from $5 - $10 (if you search PW934, they are sometimes cheaper and are the same card, just listed differently).

• Administrators

Again, Intel cards are not supported and never will be until Apple decide to use them in their Macs (so it could be a very very long wait!).

EDP will only display wifi cards for those modeld that actually require kexts! Bear in mind that many cards are natively supported because Apple use similar hardware in their own products (eg: DW1390, DW1490, Atheros AR5B91, etc.). As such, these models do not require any additional kexts and, quite naturally, EDP will not display anything for those...

Exactly so i thought that means it is supported. and that the EDP software would install a kext for it? Im confused.

Anyway i have a USB Dongle with the chip RTL8187B, is this supported by mac osx, if so which kext do i then have to install?

Thanks in advance:)

I have tried that, and found many drivers/fixes etc. but i cannot use any of them, because when ever i run a .pkg file, and when I'm in the last step of install it gives me an error saying something like: Installation failed, an unknown error occurred, please contact your manufacturer for help.

What could be the cause and how do i fix this?

I can only guess that Installer application is not opening. You can try opening it by clicking on it.The Installer application is in System/Library/CoreServices/Installer.app.

Your best bet is to be patient and purchase a new card and replace the original. When you googled as I described, you should have noticed that dongle doesn't seem to work from 10.7.2 and on.