Wi-Fi Not Connecting to password protected wi-fi

lflucena

So, that is the point.

I've purchased an Atheros AR5B91 WLan card to install onto my Dell E5520, but when it arrived I realised the card is a little bigger then the original one. 

The original was connected to WLAN slot and the Atheros card I put in the WWAN slot, but used the leads from WLAN.

I can just connect to unprotected wi-fi networks.

When try to connect to protected networks, I receive a pop up message saying:

"Could not join 'network name'
A connection timeout occurred"

Would appreciate very much if anyone has any knowledge about that. Don't want to buy another card.

• Administrators

Which OS X version are you using?

This kind of connection issue was reported with 10.8.4 for cards that are not supported OOB but require a patched kext (eg: DW1395). I have that exact same card and it works OOB on clear/WEP/AES networks throughout the whole 10.6 to 10.9 Mac OS X range.

Check that you don't have a wireless kext lying around in /E/E. You could also remove all wireless reference from Network System Preferences panel and restart.

Merci, Hervé!

Well, I had some Broadcomm kext in /E/E I removed them.

I have an USB dongle to have wi-fi working, I removed that also, but not working. You have the same card (AR5B91) ? Where can I get the patched kext?

• Administrators

What patched kext? AR5B91 is supported OOB, i.e. natively by OS X (real Apple Macs use that card).

Indeed, I have that card in my D630 nVidia and it works OOB in SL, L, ML and Mav and for all types of networks; I tested this.

Thanks for the info!
Here's my extra and extension folder kexts:

Extra:

DSDT.aml
Extensions
RemovedExtensions
SMBios.plist
SSDT.aml
Themes
modules
nvram.44454c4c-4400-1044-8035-b6c04f325231.plist
org.chameleon.Boot.plist

Extension:

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext
FakeSMC.kext
AppleACPIPlatform.kext
NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
ApplePS2Controller.kext
Patched_10.7_AppleRTC.kext
BCM5722D.kext
lspcidrv.kext

Solved by formatting the HDD and re-installing the system, as told before here in the forum that the update 10.8.4 don`t work well, I got back to 10.8.3 and will think twice before update.

After run myFix full the wi-fi entered in off state and didn`t get back.

Thanks,