Sleep, D430, 10.6.3?

trag

I've been slowly testing out my first OSX installation on the Latitude.  Sleep does not seem to be working at all.   First, should I update from 10.6.3?    I followed the EDP/Documentation instructions from Pre through Post Installation and 10.6.3 is what my SL installer disk had.

I guess I must have missed something somewhere.

My symptom is that when the laptop goes to sleep, the display goes out, and I think the drive spins down, but the green power indicator lights (button and bezel) stay solid and do not slowly pulsate.   Nothing will wake the laptop.  I must hold the power button until the machine shuts down and then restart.

Okay, I put it to sleep while plugged in, removed the battery, and put my ear against the hard drive, and I'm pretty certain it is still spinning.  Fan is definitely still blowing too.

My test installation here is a D430, 1.2GHz, 2GB RAM, 240 GB MK2431 hard drive, A09 BIOS. 

There are two slightly unusual things in my laptop.   I have a Dell DW 1505 Wifi card installed.  According to the seller it is Broadcom, BCM94321MC.   It works great so far, but I mention it in case it could be affecting sleep.    The listing in Apple System Profiler under "Ethernet Cards" says:

Name: pci14e4,4328

<snip>

BSD name:  en1

Kext name: /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Plugins/AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext

version:  422.91.27

The only odd thing is that in the upper pane, under "Card" it says Intel Wireless 3945, which seems odd since this a Broadcom based card.

Second, the Toshiba MK2431 has not been commonly used.  Could it be preventing sleep somehow?

I have configured my BIOS settings according to the "BIOS settings-D430" thread.   I performed steps 1 and 2 in the article, "Getting Sleep to work on your Dell Latitude".

https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/2036-bios-settings-d430/

http://www.osxlatitude.com/getting-osx-sleep-to-work-on-your-dell-latitude/

Any other ideas?  I don't need to click the SystemPreferences/Security "Require Password" box, right?  That sets the OSX software security, which is different from the BIOS based security.   Or do I?

Anyway, everything else seems to be great so far.  I just can't seem to get this to work, and it's frustrating, since the forums are full of (well a few anyway) postings on just what to do, and it seems to work for everyone else...

If you think it could be the Wifi card or the hard drive, I have a DW 1390 I can swap in.   The hard drive is tougher as I'm using the 80GB I have on hand as my working XP drive.   I might have a 60GB drive I can test with though.   I really wanted to get the 'n' support and larger drive capacity.

I will appreciate any helpful or humorous suggestions,

Jeff

Another possibly relevant tidbit is that the D430 is not honoring the Bypass System Password on Reboot setting.   Every time that I "restart" OSX, the D430 asks me for the system password.

• Administrators

First of all, make sure your BIOS is configured as per recommended settings in the dedicated thread. Then, make sure your Hibernate Mode is set to 0.

Once EDP System Build is done, you should have no problem whatsoever.

Intel 3945 is actually present in DSDT table. Don't hesitate to decompile, modify your text table source and recompile it to reflect true wireless card. This is just cosmetic...

First of all, make sure your BIOS is configured as per recommended settings in the dedicated thread. Then, make sure your Hibernate Mode is set to 0.

Once EDP System Build is done, you should have no problem whatsoever.

Intel 3945 is actually present in DSDT table. Don't hesitate to decompile, modify your text table source and recompile it to reflect true wireless card. This is just cosmetic...

Thanks, Herve.  I have double checked and triple checked the BIOS settings, and they match your recommendations from your posting on the topic.

Hibernate mode is definitely 0. 

Do I need to run EDP after making those settings?  I did the MyHack install.  Ran EDP.   Then I set the System password and turned Hibernate off.   Does the order matter?   Should I run EDP again,  now that the BIOS and Hibernate settings are proper?

Thankyou,

Jeff

• Administrators

No, there's no need to redo a System Build after changing BIOS and/or hibernate settings and order does not matter at all. You probably don't need SleepEnabler kext, so if you have it in /E/E, delete it and re-run myFix (full).

You can update safely to SL 10.6.8. Use the Combo update but redo the EDP system build before you reboot.

No, there's no need to redo a System Build after changing BIOS and/or hibernate settings and order does not matter at all. You probably don't need SleepEnabler kext, so if you have it in /E/E, delete it and re-run myFix (full).

Thank you, Herve.   I tried that.  I deleted SleepEnabler.kext from the /Extras/Extensions folder -- moved to trash and emptied trash.  Then I ran full myfix from myhack.   Then I restarted.   After boot process finished, I pushed the power button.  Chose the "sleep" option.  

The green lights still remain solid instead of pulsating, and no action I have tried will wake the machine.   I must hold the power button until it shuts off.  

I appreciate the help.   Are there other things I should try?

BTW, when the machine is running OSX, and I choose "Restart" from the Apple menu, and the machine restarts, it always asks for my System Password.   Shouldn't it skip that because in the BIOS the option Password Bypass = Reboot & Resume Bypass?  Doesn't that mean that when I reboot/restart, I should **not** be asked for the system password?

• Administrators

Yes, you will always be prompted for that BIOS system password. Like you, I initially thought that was odd, but that's the way it works I'm afraid...

So you don't seem to have Sleep functionality working... How about when you simply close the lid?

Did you install the ACPI (CoolBook) fix in EDP at system build? That will install AppleACPIPlatform kext v1.3.5 in /E/E and you should then delete the kext of similar name (v2.0 in all likelyhood) from /S/L/E. Remember to re-run myFix (full) afterwards.

Yes, you will always be prompted for that BIOS system password. Like you, I initially thought that was odd, but that's the way it works I'm afraid...

So you don't seem to have Sleep functionality working... How about when you simply close the lid?

Did you install the ACPI (CoolBook) fix in EDP at system build? That will install AppleACPIPlatform kext v1.3.5 in /E/E and you should then delete the kext of similar name (v2.0 in all likelyhood) from /S/L/E. Remember to re-run myFix (full) afterwards.

Thank you for the information about the System password and reboot.  That is reassuring.

Before you posted the above message, I decided that I may as well update to 10.6.8 following your instructions two posts back.    I did so and **now sleep works fine.**

I had already done the update before I saw your latest message, so I do not know if the 10.6.3 installation had AppleACPIPlatform.kext properly installed or not.    The new 10.6.8 does have it in place as you describe.

With 10.6.8 sleep is working both from the power switch and by closing the lid and wakeup seems to be fine, although I haven't tested all functionality after wakeup, yet.  I'm just pleased as can be that the machine finally sleeps.

Under 10.6.3 sleep did not work properly with either the power button or by closing the lid.

Unfortunately, this leaves us not knowing the root cause of the problem.   Is there an issue with Sleep and 10.6.3?   Was something else wrong?   I guess it doesn't matter very much because updating to 10.6.8 usually makes sense.

Herve, thank you very much for your patience and help.   

Onward to more testing.   I tested the Media Slice dock (PR09S) a little bit a couple of days ago and initial results are good so far, but I haven't tried the video ports yet.   I'll do more of that.   

Also, any recommendations on which of the PS2 kexts to try to get the pointing stick working, or is that fraught with hazard?  It looks like there are seven choices in Extras/Storage.   Eight choices, except that "appleps2controller" (v. 1.1.5) is already installed.