Samsung Easy Settings on Windows 8

Leon

• Administrators

I bought my Samsung laptop well over a year ago, and it came running Windows 7 - while i do for the most of the time run OSX on it - its nice to be able to dual boot.. eg. to Winows 8

One of the interesting features that Samsung included was a piece of software called ‘Easy Settings’ which allowed me to configure the battery to never charge above 80%, supposedly lengthening the life of the  battery. I turned this on (since my laptop is plugged in 99% of the time) and forgot all about it. A few months later I installed Windows 8 and found that Easy Settings no longer worked. When I tried to install it I got this message:

image_thumb.png

Loosing 20% of your battery capacity might be fine around the house, but sometimes I do like to take my laptop out and so I really wanted to be able to configure this. Even forcing Windows to install meant the app would run but wouldn’t display correctly function at all, I guess Microsoft blocked it for a reason.

Install Version 2.1

It turns out Samsung do offer a version of this tool for Windows 8, they just don’t make it easy to find. Version 2.1 works perfectly fine on NP300E5A model. Before I could change any power management settings, I had to update my laptop’s firmware however. The link to the download was hidden away on this Windows 8 update page, so check your model is listed before performing any firmware updates!

image_thumb1.png

One nice addition is the ability to turn your laptop into a wireless Access Point (yes, Macs have had this feature for years I know, and it’s very useful).

SWUpdate_2.1.15.1.ZIP