Inspiron 5523 - Ultrabook 15z i7-3517u - help

spermikromik

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys,

have someone success with this book?

Computer Brand Name: DELL Inspiron 5523 (15z)

Processor: Intel Core i7-3517U (1900.0 MHz)

Motherboard: DELL 0JRYH9 (Intel HM77 (Panther Point))

Memory: 8 GBytes (Dual-Channel)

SAMSUNG SSD 256GB (Windows)

Seagate 1TB Laptop SSHD, SATA III w/ 64MB Cache (MacOS)

Optical Drive: HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GU70N (DVD+R DL)

Display Adapter: Intel Ivy Bridge-MB GT2 - Integrated Graphics Controller [E1/L1/N0/P0] [DELL] HD4000 + Nvidia 630M Optimus

Audio Adapter: Intel Panther Point PCH - High Definition Audio Controller [C1]

Network Adapter: Wifi Atheros 9280

Atheros AR8161/8165 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller

Battery: DELL TPMCF2A

I try MyHack with some packages with the same chipset and graphics and nothing. Please help me. Thanks

I'm wondering if I can resurrect this post as I have the exact system with the noted differences listed. I am looking for a patched dsdt/ssdt. I did however prematurely post as I used another installation method. I am going to go back and use the guide here first.

Thanks in advance for any assistance provided.

• Administrators

The OP posted his Extra folder and that contains a DSDT file. The SSDT, you can always create yourself with the well-known generator script. Look it up at RampageDev's blog on the Net.

The OP posted his Extra folder and that contains a DSDT file. The SSDT, you can always create yourself with the well-known generator script. Look it up at RampageDev's blog on the Net.

Thank you for the quick reply to this.  I should have mentioned that I have Yosemite installed.  Will that make a difference in any of the files that are part of Extra Folder; which I found btw.

Edit:  

Also curious to know if EDP now supports Inspiron 5523?  I checked the list and I did see 5520.

• Moderators

None of the kexts will work on Yosemite, but the DSDT/SSDT should be fine.

Since you have Yosemite installed, what is not working?

Kexts you should have in /Extra/Extensions:

FakeSMC

AppleIntelE1000e - for LAN

ACPIBatteryManager - Battery Status

VoodooPS2Controller - Mouse/Keyboard

ACPIBacklight - Backlight control

GenericUSBXHCI - USB 3.0 if it exists in your system

NullCPUPowerManagement until you have a patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement

None of the kexts will work on Yosemite, but the DSDT/SSDT should be fine.

Since you have Yosemite installed, what is not working?

Kexts you should have in /Extra/Extensions:

FakeSMC

AppleIntelE1000e - for LAN

ACPIBatteryManager - Battery Status

VoodooPS2Controller - Mouse/Keyboard

ACPIBacklight - Backlight control

GenericUSBXHCI - USB 3.0 if it exists in your system

NullCPUPowerManagement until you have a patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement

Hi, 

Let me see if I can fully explain (properly) as to where I am.  I should note that I am using a *beast mode which I know is not truly supported here and maybe its time to ditch that method but I digress.  Here is what I've done/tried.

1. Install using Chameleon with 'nv_disable=1 dart=0'

2. formatted and installed using GUID

3. Yosemite installed, reboot and using f12 to select 2nd hdd (OS) I again need to use the above flags.

4. installation finishes (which is where I am now)

5. Have tried both a patched DSDT and dsdt free (under other method) which also installs chimera (chameleon, stolen and rebranded) (chameleon, stolen and rebranded)

6. Reboot system

a. on reboot if I leave it, I don't get drive options (assuming chimera (chameleon, stolen and rebranded) (chameleon, stolen and rebranded) is not loading)

b. f12 and choose 2nd drive.  I get three options, *beast, OS, Yosemite.  When I choose the later I get kernel panics and no flags will boot me back into OSX

I am assuming that its my graphics that are still causing me problems as I need to disable nVidia and solely run with Intel4000.

If I am missing anything else that you might need please let me know as I am now stuck.  I know I have a fair bit of tinkering to get a solid installation but I'm kind of stuck!

Thanks

Edit:

Also, I was trying to download and check out EDP.  I have following the directions but once I have it loaded it is showing a fatal error on the edp window?  Is this not something I can use or should only be used in conjunction with the installation method that preceeds it?

• Moderators

The DSDT by OP has nvidia disable and load HD4000, so use the DSDT.

Add 'nv_disable=1 dart=0' to your org.chameleon.boot.plist so you don't have to enter it everytime.

What is on your 1st HDD? Chameleon is installed on your 2nd HD that's why you have to select it from F12. Chameleon loader will have to be install to the 1st HD if you don't want to have to choose after reboot with F12.

EDP is under construction to include Clover, so it's not currently working. No need to run it if you have everything tuned.

What error are you seeing when it KP?

The DSDT by OP has nvidia disable and load HD4000, so use the DSDT.

Add 'nv_disable=1 dart=0' to your org.chameleon.boot.plist so you don't have to enter it everytime.

What is on your 1st HDD? Chameleon is installed on your 2nd HD that's why you have to select it from F12. Chameleon loader will have to be install to the 1st HD if you don't want to have to choose after reboot with F12.

EDP is under construction to include Clover, so it's not currently working. No need to run it if you have everything tuned.

What error are you seeing when it KP?

I will use the dsdt by OP in addition I will use the other files provided in the 'extra' folder along with those you suggested and without the noted kexts that will not work in Yosemite as directed and add those flags to the boot.plist

The 1st HDD has Windows on it currently and now I understand why I have the need for f12, I suppose an exceptable choice for now.

I neglected to take a picture of the KP but I was able to see that at one point it indicated that no osx was installed(?)

Edit:

Also, is the modules folder OSX specific?  Do I need to ensure I copy that as well?

Yes, the modules folder is fine, but I don't think KernelPatcher is needed.

Thank you for all your assistance.  I am going to go back and try it all again.

One last question for now; more of a clarification.  You mentioned to have all those kexts in the 'extra/extensions' folder.  Should they all be in there or in the 'library/extensions'?  I know when mb installs them it puts them in the later.  Just want to make sure.

Thanks again.