E6400 USB Corrupting Files

moosefuel

Whenever I plug in a USB thumb drive, or a card reader for my digital camera, files "dissappear" or are corrupted. Usually it is the most recent file.

I have Snow Leopard (a bit older, I know, but reliable) working on my Latitude E6400, using the EDP and a few tweaks from the official research thread here. 

I used the USB IO hack where I use a modified kext, and also tried the official kexts with the DSDT. With the DSDT fix I don't get mass storage working at all. 

Anyone have this issue with SL or Lion? Anyone know if upgrading to Lion will fix it?

• Administrators

Where are the files that disappear or get corrupted ? If it is on the USB key, I know that some keys are not 100% compatible with Mac OS X. Some can't even be formatted in any other format but FAT/FAT32.

Try downloading show all files app. Then u can see system files. From there, look to see if root owns your files. That could be a reason. Also is your flash drive formatted to Mac OS Extended, fat, ntfs or ext file system? I think it's just hidden in root or there is some wierd issue that I can't really help with.

Thanks for the replies. 

This issue has happened with USB drives formatted as FAT16 (cards in a USB card reader from my digital camera), and Mac OS Extended Journaled in the case of my 8GB USB drive. I'm pretty much stumped. I thought maybe it could be a DSDT problem, or else a problem with some kexts.

Thanks,

noah

As Hervé indicated, the issue might be with the brand of USB drive you are using. From rooting Android devices to phones to hackintoshing, it has been noted that different brands produce different results and their own accompanying issues. From my experience doing any of the above, I have found SanDisk drives to be fast and effective with no issues for all of my purposes. Other brands have produced problems including slower speeds, file corruption and as Hervé noted, failure to format. Try with another brand (or possibly try creating the installer on a different machine as there have been occasions where the machine creating the installer has corrupted the installer).

Hey guys-

Looked into this a lot more and found that it's a mix of both types of flash drives and their format- some filesystems are encrypted, making it hard to format. When you buy a flash drive, it normally comes formatted as fat32 or NTFS. If formatting in windows it will give a lot of complaints saying it doesn't work. Doing it in OSX does but doesn't unless you burn an image (at least for my drive). And for the types of flash drives, I found kingston to be the slowest and pny to work best just for more quality. Kingston flash drives gave me issues and when the install finished, i just booted into the infamous kernel panic.

The issue I am having is mainly with camera memory cards. I have Sandisk and Lexar SD cards of between 8-64 GB, and my iMac has no trouble reading and copying files to and from them. My E6400 on the other hand frequently "loses" files. I am not using the built-in card reader, but an external USB one. It worked fine in my old Powerbook which I used to take with me to gigs, so I THINK it's probably OK still, but perhaps I will try a different one.

Does your E6400 have a dedicated card reader? If so have you tried downloading the kext provided in the Mountain Lion Anyone forum? Although not as smooth as your iMac's likely is, I have used it to to read and copy with. I had tried to have it viewed as an Apple card reader, but was honestly taking more time than I was willing to spend on it considering that I don't use it often.

Hi all,

Thanks for the helpful replies. I managed to get a Lion USB stick and used the MyHack and EDP method to erase my machine and install Lion instead. After automatically installing the kexts needed, my USB and card reader both work perfectly (although the built-in card reader is slow). I no longer have any corrupted files, and overall my system is more responsive