Dell Splash Screen Mod

Thund3rbolt

Okay I managed to change my splash screen on the Dell D620 using the Dell Post Bitmap Update Program. The D40x may also be supported although I can't confirm that. The program does not alter your bios but rather the nvram so relatively safe although the usual warnings apply ie:

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

1) Make/steal/beg/borrow permanently a bitmap no larger than 640x480 with 16 colors.

2) Boot using a thumb drive with dos and the software included. Note: If you don't know how to do this step you're probably not someone that should even attempt this. Stick with the DELL NEWBIE LOGO!! That said and yer still feeling like you wanna proceed then google it and feel like yer not a newb! :)

3) Unzip and copy the included DPBUP and your bmp on the thumb drive into a subdir. I used c:\splash

3) Once you've booted clean to the USB thumb run "splash filename.bmp" without the quotes where filename is the name of the bmp you obtained.

4) reboot! Voila your new logo is installed.

Screenshot of my system on startup:

post-8-038507900 1292260770_thumb.jpg

DPBUP: (my quota was exceeded so had to u/l to mediafire)

http://www.mediafire...2pn84ddbba8sl19

Caveat:

Please note .. at least with my case my bmp was large so I don't see the loading bar anymore or the stats info. If you are unhappy with the results you may restore your original bitmap by re-running: splash OFF

UPDATE 1: Confirmed -- running "splash OFF" without the quotes restores original bitmap.

UPDATE 2: Supported Systems:

Dell Latitude

C-Series and D-Series systems, except for Latitude CP and Latitude CPi.

Dell Inspiron

3700, 3800, 4000 series, 8000 series, 9000 series, 500m series, 600m series.

Dell Precision

M-Series

Final note: I'm not very artistic so if someone is creative or has other bitmaps that are interesting at 640x480x16 please feel free to share.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

hahah.. nice.. but a bit to hardcore for my part..

I was actually thinking something that looks like the white boot screen..

eg.

* BIOS hack with white apple logo

* We change the chameleon theme to white with the apple logo also

That gives a allmost full boot experience...

what do you think ?

hahah.. nice.. but a bit to hardcore for my part..

I was actually thinking something that looks like the white boot screen..

eg.

* BIOS hack with white apple logo

* We change the chameleon theme to white with the apple logo also

That gives a allmost full boot experience...

what do you think ?

Yes, I was thinking the same things as well. Just plain jane like the real deal. The Chameleon theme though could be all out cool to reflect the group though. Let's stick some advertisement for everyone here. Lots of peeps working together here and we deserve the credz imo. Something that will reflect Dx40 a little more but still be flashy. We need some artists methinks.

Anyone else care to comment?