Inspiron 660

jdschrack

But safe mode limits all extensions and kexts! I'm not saying it blocks things but it prevents kexts from loading

So?

However you are saying this:

Mach_kernel is the base kernel u r loading. Your issue is that it is missing files. Thus, it won't boot. Try your install drive which has the full kernel. Boot off of it, and push tge right arrow until you select your hard drive. I can't get simpler than that! ;)

You can see it is booting, but hanging on some graphic issue. Then it won't be a mach_kernel problem, because without the mach_kernel it won't boot at all.

In safe mode it works right? Then it's not Mach kernel. However, reading the log, it seems to give an issue at boot. Download the log and have a look- are the "errors" that I see really problems? Or, is it just the kexts

Ok, so I am starting to wonder if this is a limitation of my BIOS.  I can not modify the dedicated memory settings on this Dell.

I am wondering if there is any way to modify something in the IntelHD Kexts to trick it into thinking that it is one of the 32 MB settings with no built in display, sort of mirror most of the settings for that configuration anyhow.  I'm fairly sure that because it recognizes my card natively as 0x####009 if it isn't trying to load a non existent built in display and causing the HDMI to crash.

EDIT

I have also attempted to use the Guide posted on tonycrapx86.com, that's how I discovered the cards with 64 MB allocated were for systems with a built in display. 

I am working to see if I can find a BIOS hack that will allow me to modify the memory size, if not at least I have an open BIOS to get a supported graphics card installed.

I will post any results.  Thanks to both of you in your attempt to assist me.

7/17 - BIOS Hack not successful, next step new power supply and EVGA GeForce GTx 650

Ok, so I am starting to wonder if this is a limitation of my BIOS.  I can not modify the dedicated memory settings on this Dell.

I am wondering if there is any way to modify something in the IntelHD Kexts to trick it into thinking that it is one of the 32 MB settings with no built in display, sort of mirror most of the settings for that configuration anyhow.  I'm fairly sure that because it recognizes my card natively as 0x####009 if it isn't trying to load a non existent built in display and causing the HDMI to crash.

EDIT

I have also attempted to use the Guide posted on tonycrapx86.com, that's how I discovered the cards with 64 MB allocated were for systems with a built in display. 

I am working to see if I can find a BIOS hack that will allow me to modify the memory size, if not at least I have an open BIOS to get a supported graphics card installed.

I will post any results.  Thanks to both of you in your attempt to assist me.

7/17 - BIOS Hack not successful, next step new power supply and EVGA GeForce GTx 650

I have purchased an MSI GeForce GTX650 1 GB DDR3 OC hoping that would resolve my issues, however I still get similar behavior when trying to boot with this device.

I have done the following:

1.  Reinstall using MyHack

2.  Remove ApplyTyMCEDriver.kext

3.  Add GraphicsEnabler=No to Boot.plist

4.  Installed Latest BIOS from Dell (A09)

5.  Patched DSDT

I still get the same loop of the LoginWindow, MetaData and backupd.

Any suggestions at this point?

this is a dumb idea but maybe if you "rolled back" a version of a bios? i do know that new bios'es have EFI, so this is just my idea. Feel free to try!