D430 and mSata hard drive

ddiego

Ok, so I saw this and took the challenge. D430 used to have regular HD dual boot OSX 10.6.8 and Win 7. Purchased your same adapter and a 256GB SSD from Amazon. Cost about $130 for both combined. Went for a tripple boot with OSX 10.6.8, Win 7 and Mint Linux 13.

Here are the steps I followed.

1. Three partitions.

2. Install OSX on 1st

3. Win 7 on 2nd

4. Linux on 3rd

Have to change the Linux partition via GPT sync to make sure all three paritions can be seen.

5. Reinstall Chameleon and fix up the OSX install.

6. Reinstall Linux (now that the partitions are all viewable from the Chameleon loader).

7. Bob's Your Uncle.

Works fine. Speeds are much faster. Boot times for OSX went from 50 seconds to 17 seconds (BIOS to the Login). Windows improvement was about the same. Linux is fast as always.

Thank you for this thread. It has really made this D430 a very usable machine.

I tried this but sadly wasn't successful.  

I have a Dell Latitude D430 with A09 BIOS.  This laptop came with a 60GB Toshiba 4200 RPM HDD.

I purchased an 80GB Intel 310 series mSATA SSD from eBay along with a ZIF to mSATA adapter.

I verified the SSD works on another laptop with a native mSATA slot so either the ZIF to mSATA adapter isn't working or this SSD isn't compatible with the D430.

I tried reversing the cable as many have mentioned but no luck.

The SSD is now listed on eBay and I'm going to take a loss on it along with a total loss on the ZIF to mSATA adapter unless someone here can chime in and enlighten me.

• Administrators

the ribbon is very finicky and sometime looks like it is seated proper but it is not also the clip sometimes locks locked but is not. on a run core i installed the socket was taller and the ribbon did not fit tight.

The specific adapter for this purpose is the Sintech (manufacturer) PA6007 (model #), mini pci-e Msata SSD to 40pin ZIF adapter card as tohiba or hitachi zif hdd (list of buzz words).

As far as I can tell, all the adapters are identical to this one.   Of course, it's possible that some unknown factory in China is making them and Sintech is just another reseller.   But the Sintech model number works and a seach on "Sintech Pa6007" will turn up units on Amazon, Ebay and Sintech's own direct sale website.

I've successfully managed to attempt this hack after so many times trying to win an affordable mSata drive on Ebay.  I've won a 256GB LiteOn mSata drive a few days ago and it arrived today.  I've installed it and it's recognized under bios and copied over my clone partition over to the 120GB partition I made for OS X Lion. I've cut my bootup time from 50 seconds to 25 seconds with this drive.  The only thing I noticed after the switch was that my cpu speed is now showing 1.20 instead of 1.33ghz like it used to be before.  Anyone that could shed some light on this?

Oh and the only thing i did differently with mine was i attached velcro underneath the adapter and had drive bay/bracket area so it won't move in there. And the one I purchased is this one: LITE ON SSD Solid State Drive mSATA 256GB LMT-256L9M--41  

Hi,

I bought mSATA to ZIF adapter for my DELL D430 but BIOS has a problem with recognizing the disk. When I power on the laptop on the screen appeared information: "No bootable devices..." (picture is below) . I have to go to the BIOS and exit, next disk is visible and system starts. If I do reboot everything is ok OS starts again, but if I switch off the laptop I see again screen: "No bootable..."

I have disk Intel mSATA 80 GB

Have you ever seen similar issue? What do you think it is the problem with mSATA to ZIF adapter?