D430 and mSata hard drive

ddiego

I think that it isn't the problem with cable because disk is present, but never after start the laptop.

After press power button BIOS doesn't see the disk, I have to do "soft restart" ctrl+alt+delete and then disk is visible and OS starting. I can do reboot and still everything is good, but when I power off my laptop, on the next run BIOS can't see it

• Administrators

I'd check that everything was properly fitted physically. That little flat ribbon cable is not the easiest of all to refit on the ZIF adapter side.

I've also experienced situations where an external USB device (key of HDD) would behave the same and it was a problem of partition scheme/format type: the key or HDD would not be recognized when partitioned GPT with OS X extended format, only if partioned MBR with FAT/FAT32 formatting.

I'd be surprised if you had such similar problem with a SSD but you never know... Or the SSD could simply be slow to get powered up/responsive at POST.

• Administrators

So, you've changed mSATA to ZIF adapter and problem remains? We can rule out a faulty adapter then, which leaves you with following likely causes:

• damaged ribbon cable
  • loose/unreliable ribbon cable connection (ZIF end and/or adapter end)
  • wrong SSD partition scheme or format type
  • faulty or somehow incompatible SSD

I have 2 DELL D430 and I've checked adapter on 2 laptops, so i think that we can rule out ribbon cable. I think that problem with recognize device in BIOS couldn't be  partition scheme. So it have to be incompatible mSATA disk which works properly in computer without adapter - I tested it